Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buzz bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by catphish, Jun 14, 2003.

1. catphish

catphish

Feb 25, 2003
    okay, so I never met a fretless that I liked until today. I played a pentabuzz this afternoon and I'm planing on buying it tomorrow. I LOVE the finished fretboard, however it also causes a concern. How does the finished fretboard fare against heavy use? Does the finish rub off? If so, how long will it last, and how hard is it to get refinished?

Thanks,
    Dugan

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I've been looking into having this done for my Buzz, which I've had for about 10 years. They say the surface is 80% as hard as glass, and it's lasted that long for me, which is reasonable. It's a price you have to pay for the sound the Pedulla gets. IME, I need about that much time for a refret to be necessary on a fretted bass.

Pedulla does the work on their basses for $225. I've seen a bass from them that had the job done and it was top notch, so I feel comfortable having them do the work.

There's a complete rundown in their FAQ:

www.pedulla.com

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Think of the finish as an extra shield; even if it is worn through over years of use, the fretboard itself is still in perfect shape-most fretli don't even have a coated board.