Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buzz between the nut and my finger

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cola_klinks, Jun 4, 2005.

1. cola_klinks

cola_klinks

May 29, 2005
    I've got a BC Rich Eagle that I have recently refurbished. I haven't had many troubles except an old problem from ten years ago when I first put it down has resurfaced. I have set the relief where it should be but I get a buzz on the E-string when I play the 5-6-7-8 fret...but the buzz is between the nut and my finger. I've tried increasing the relief but it doesn't seem to help - or at least I've increased it to a point where it would be rediculous to keep and then decided not to increase any more. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks.

2. cola_klinks

cola_klinks

May 29, 2005
    Does this mean I will need to replace the nut? Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but could it be that the nut has worn too low. Is there any way to fix this without replacement. Thanks

3. cola_klinks

cola_klinks

May 29, 2005
    I built up the nut with four very thin coats of super glue and it has gone away. This is only until I can take the bass in and get the nut replaced.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I had this and the bass tech where I went, had supplies of "ground-up nut dust" that he mixed with super-glue - it fixed the problem and was dry in a few minutes! :)

5. I have a 1995 Ibanez Iceman ICB300 that has started doing this since I went to a slighly heavier gauge set of stings. The funny thing is that the gauges I increased were only the d and g string from 65 to 70 and 45 to 50. Then the buzzing started. When I fret the E string on the 5th and 6th frets it buzzes between my hand and the nut jst like Cola Klinks described with his BC Rich. The relief in the neck is minimal, and I think I'm going to just go back to the standard gauge I used forever. ALTHOUGH, I cannot lower my action any more than it is already or I get other buzzing on the E string (from my hand to the body). I have the action as low as it will go as I have tweaked the trussed rod a little bit each way quite a few times and with as hard as I play in some cases, and it's almost like the A and D are too high even with the saddles all the way down. With that said, it seems it's all I can do.
    Do you guys think going to a LIGHTER gauge would help in these cases? It's been a long time since I went lighter. I welcome opinions.

6. cola_klinks

cola_klinks

May 29, 2005
    Good point, I actually started to use a higher gauge string when it first started. I'll see if I can get some ground nut dust if it wears off, but so far so good. Thanks guys.

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Had the same problem. My tech had inadvertantly cut the nut slots too deeply which resulted in the buzz you described. You can easily fix it yourself with a beer can and super glue.

1) Gently knock the nut loose with a small piece of wood and
    hobby hammer.

2) Cut a small strip of beer can aluminum the same dimensions
    as the nut. Glue the strip / shim in the nut channel on the
    neck. This only takes a small amt of glue; string tension
    will hold the whole thing in place.

3) Replace the nut with a couple drops of glue.

This should raise the action high enough at the nut to alleviate the problem.

Riis

8. Noob here. new to the Bass. I found this thread after an exhausting search (pats noob self on back for searching before posting a new thread). I have the same problem with a new Ibanez GSR190. Buzz when fretting at the 6th fret only. The buzz is comming from somewhere between nut and my fretting finger.

Tried everything, then found this thread!!!!

I placed a doubled sheet of paper under the string in the nut slot (E String) as a temporary fix and diagnosis. Seems to have aleviated the problem.

Now for a more permanent solution, which is?

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

See above ....:)

10. Thanks. I read that, and I just wanted to make sure that was a permanent solution. Now where did I put my "nut dust?" Other threads have also helped (super glue, baking soda, etc).

11. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Does "nut dust" fall into the same category as belly button lint and ear wax?

I consider the beer can shim to be a permanent fix as I don't feel like spending dough on a new nut installation.

Riis

12. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    "but the buzz is between the nut and my finger"

Are you sure you're not plucking the string to the left of your finger instead of to the right? <G>

Never heard of this before; are you actually 'hearing' the buzz in your amp?

amyway glad you seem to have fixed it...

Mike

13. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Does it matter what brand of beer?

14. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Funny you should ask that.

It was can of very skunky Genesee Cream Ale which I found after two years in the back of my fridge.

Riis