Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buzz Feiten Nut placement

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by plester102, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Does anyone have a 34 In. scale neck with a zero fret/or not and the Buzz Feiten intonaton system installed?

If so, what is the measurement between the nut/zero fret and the first fret? Is the nut/zero fret perfectly parallel to the first fret?

And, will the movement of the nut/zero fret toward the first fret be the only difference from a regular 34 In. scale neck? Other than altering the tuning setup?

Thanks,

Paul

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    what the hell is this Buzz Feiten thing ? I have it on my MTD fretless but all I see are tuners and a nut !

What the F ?:confused:

3. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    The center to center measurement is exactly 1 and 7/8 inches from the zero fret to the 1st fret. They are perfectly parallel to each other. I got that from my MTD Kingston.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

i don't think it applies to fretless.

5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Strictly speaking, it DOES apply to fretless; but it's effective only if your finger placement is perfect. In the real world, you intonate a fretless with your ear and adjust finger position accordingly.

Godoze, the Buzz Feiten Tuning System is a way to eliminate the slightly-sharp intonation of the first few frets, and the old "the E chord sounds great but the D chord is out of tune" problem. This problem is more apparent on guitars playing chords than on basses playing single notes. The nut is moved slightly toward the bridge, then the strings are tuned a few cents flat on the lower strings and a few cents sharp on the higher strings. If you search the web for "buzz feiten", you'll find a couple of explanations of the system.

6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    FWIW, the "Buzz Feiten Tuning System" is not "installed" on MTD fretless basses.

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The MTD fretless have the Buzz Feiten Tuning System Sticker on them. It would seem a bit ridiculous for MTD to pay license on each bass if they didn't have the tuning system

Although it is noticible when the bass is playing with another chordal instrument like piano or guitar

Mike

8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    A few months ago, when I was considering buying a Kingston fretless, I e-mailed Michael Tobias through the MTD website and asked if the fretless basses had the BFTS. His reply stated that the BFTS was "not installed" on the fretless basses. This may, or may not have changed since that time.

I guess, if anyone needs to know for sure, they should contact MTD and/or Mr. Tobias...