Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buzz Feiten Tuning System and Korg DT-7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pd_5string, Oct 3, 2002.

1. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    I gots a question...

Mike Tobias intonated my bass, and everything checked out perfectly with using his super duper tuner which has 1 cent resolution.

But on the Korg DT-7, all notes at the 12th fret register sharp, without me touching anything.

Unit is set to bass, and 12th fret mode in the BFT mode.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Is the tuner calibrated properly?

3. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    I believe it is. I am using it as it was out of the box. The directions do not say to calibrate it before use, so I assume it comes calibrated to A440 from the factory.

4. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Yes. In fact, the tunings are supposed to be burnt into a chip so that all you need to do is do 12th fret/open string comparisons.

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have an MTD with the BF tuning system. It was intonated by Mike Tobias using that tuner. I never got around to buying one, and I still use an old Korg BT-2 Bass tuner (vintage 1993). I've used the BT-2 to intonate the MTD when I changed strings and adjusted saddle heights with no problem. The bass plays still plays in tune at lower and higher fret positions.

6. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    pd,

I'm getting a strobe.

Cheers. (AKA "Rod Trussbroken" other forums).

7. WinterBass

WinterBass

May 19, 2002
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Endorsing Artist: MTD
    Are you tuning the string to the OPEN setting first? You then need to switch to the 12th fret position and do the intonation.

I think you are also supposed to tune to the attack of the string, not the decay.

Good Luck.
    Eric

8. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Correct. you are suppose to tune on the attack not the decay. Also, what exactly is 1 cent?

9. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    there are 100 intervals, which are called cents, between half steps, which is why they are called cents. A really flat A for example can be between 1 and 50 cents flat. More than that, it becomes a really sharp Ab. A perfectly tuned note will be 100 cents flat in relation to the half step above it.

A - 100 cents = Ab/G#
    Ab/G# - 100 cents= G
    G - 100 cents= Gb/F#
    Gb/F# - 100 cents= F

and so on.