Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buzz feiten tuning system for bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RS, Dec 1, 2000.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    What exactly is the Buzz Feiten tuning system? Does it really work? Can you apply it to a bass?

Thanks

2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!

I think it applies more to the Six String Plank Spanker brigade.It involves moving the nut slightly and tuning the strings very slightly "off".Supposed to make certain chords sound more in tune.....at 175 dollars I would hope it does!

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Mike Tobias uses that system

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The BFTS comes in two parts: (1) the nut is moved forward slightly from its usual position, which prevents the lower frets from sounding sharp due to increased tension from pressing down near the nut; (2) the strings are intonated slightly "off" at the 12th fret (on the bass, up or down by a few cents) to even out intonation changes as one goes up the neck. I don't think any mathematics were involved in its creation; it seems to be more the work of trial and error.

I agree that the effects of the BFTS are more noticeable on guitar; then again, if you play a lot of chords or double stops, you will probably be able to hear a difference. (The only thing that sounds worse than a sour guitar chord is a sour bass chord.)

A couple of people have licensed BFTS: Washburn, Tobias and Tom Anderson, to name a few.

The patent which covers BFTS is on the USPTO website and IBM's patent server. Just search for an applicant named "Howard Feiten."