Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buzz Feiten Tuning System ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malthumb, May 13, 2001.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Lately I've seen a lot of high end and custom basses lately listing "Buzz Feiten Tuning System" as a feature. Whazzatmean?

I'd also be interested in knowing the difference / preference between Schaller tuning keys and Gotoh tuning keys. When I ordered my Alembic last year it had Gotoh as standard, Schaller available for more money. I stuck with the Gotoh set. I have two other Alembics with Schallers. I don't perceive any noticeable difference.

Peace,

James

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
  3. IMHO, it's bull****.

4. You tried it and it didn't work? Bummer! It works great for me. For years, it has been a great mystery for me and the fretted bass players and guitarists I know that no matter what you do, notes get sharper the closer you get to the nut (of course, between guitarists and bassists, it's no big deal until you add a keyboard or horns to the mix, then it can mess those folks all up). In all our discussions, it never occurred to us that maybe there was something wrong with the traditional placement of the nut. Most everyone I know (unless they've given up, and there are a lot of those) has a way of fudging that out-of-tuneness by tuning with combinations of harmonics and open strings, but that's a matter of breaking up the error into pieces and hiding it here and there, not of making it go away. So I'm just wild about BFTS. 30+ years and I'm finally in tune. But of course, if you have tried it and your ears tell you different, who am I to argue?

5. I tried a few axes with it. I could hear a difference when I tuned the instrument but when it came to playing it....it wasn't a major deal to me. I could live with or without it. I certainly would shy away from a great sounding and playing bass that lacked the Feiten system.