Buzz from Jim Dunlop DC Brick...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NicJimBass, Jan 25, 2006.

1. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    So I plug in my pedals last night, and turn on my amp, and I get a very nasty buzzing/ humming. I checked all my pedals, everything's fine. I think the plug for my DC Brick isn't grounded and is causing all the noise. anyone else experience this? Is there a cure?
  2. the mains plug you mean? that's kinda dangerous if it's not a double insultated device. If that's the case you need to buy a new mains cable and/or have the unit inspected by an electrician.

But first, you need to eliminate several possibilities, including the possbility of ground loops. Here's what you should do:

Run direct from your guitar to your amp to make sure it's not your amp making the noise.

Then, remove everything from your signal chain except for one effect device (powered by the brick) and plug directly via that device. This will not totally eliminate the chance of a ground loop, but it will lessen it significantly.

Try each pedal in turn in this set up to make sure that it's not one specific pedal that's causing the problem. If one unit seems to be the culprit, power it using batteries if possible to see if that helps.

It might also help to try each of the bricks outputs in turn too.

There's five things that spring to mind:
    - One is a bad ground as you said, but more likely it's gonna be in your amp.
    - Another, it could be a bad ground/sheilding in your guitar coupled with some local interference - try moving to a different room to see if it changes.
    - Thirdly, it could be an overloaded or faulty power supply with an AC ripple on the DC supply
    - A pedal may be faulty, allowing DC to pass out the output, which can result in some nasty noises.
    - A pedal may be being supplied with a voltage that is not suitable, causing improper operation (but I assume this rig worked properly prior to this problem arising.)
  3. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Will probably be a ground loop as the Dunlop brick isn't isolated outputs, it's basically a daisy chain in a brick unlike the voodoo labs.

Do a search on ground loops and you should get an idea on how to get rid of them.