1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buzz from Spector Legend. Grounding issue?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tom once dead, Oct 19, 2013.

1. I've recently started getting a buzz with my Spector, I don't know a whole lot about electronics so I thought I'd ask TB.
    I think it could be a grounding issue as when I touch any of the controls the buzz will stop, it also will go away if I simply roll off the volume all the way. I might add, touching the strings or bridge makes the buzz worse.
    So is this a pretty simple fix?

2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    It could be a grounding issue, though some copperfoil inside the pickups and preamp cavity could solve it as well

3. Any idea why this has only recently become a problem? I've had this bass for a few years with no troubles.

4. Your bridge ground is broken. Simple fix.

5. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    It should have a tone pump pre which is run like EMG's and grounded to the jack / amp ground. No foil etc needed. Check the ground connection at the jack, and on the pots. They have been known to come loose at the jack. Also if you have been plugging your amp into a different wall outlet the outlet may be wired backwards. Very common.

6. The OP says touching the controls kills the hum.

7. So I just did some quick troubleshooting and I discovered that the buzz gets a little worse when I touch the strings or bridge, and still stops when I touch the pots. I opened the bass up and couldn't see any loose wires. I also plugged in another bass and had no buzz at all.

8. I know grendle says it shouldn't be needed, and I'm sure he knows more about these particular electronics than I do, but it sure sounds like it needs a bridge ground.
    When you look inside do you see a single-conductor wire that disappears into a hole that looks as though it might end under the bridge?

9. Yeah, there's one wire that looks like it goes to the bridge and I think is soldered to the volume pot.
    I might try taking the bridge off when I get home and take a look.

10. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    He may have the pump jr or the EMG pre wich both use a bridge ground. Do check that. Good idea to retouch all the ground solder joints as well. If not , my money is on the jack or a bad pot.

11. Yeah, it's got a Tone Pump Jr. in there.
    Should I bother taking the bridge off to check the bridge ground wire?

12. Does it have one? You'd see it in the control cavity as I explained. If so, yes. It's usually just sandwiched between the body and bridge, and the connection can fail.

13. Alright, I just took the bridge off to have a look and there was a ground wire running to the bridge, which was connected to the bridge pickup volume pot. I'm not sure exactly what I've done, but after putting the bridge back on after moving the wire around a little bit it's working. I'm guessing the wire just got squished into the grain of the wood or something to make it loose connection.
    Either way, my bass seems to be working perfectly once again.

14. You got it. It's kind of a cheesy way to do it but every bass I've worked on is that way. Glad you fixed it.

15. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Yep the jr has a ground to the bridge and cudos on finding it!

16. Well I just had a play today and now I'm getting a buzz that goes away when I touch the strings or pots.

17. That's EMI, from some source at the venue, probably lighting dimmers. The fact that it goes away touching either strings or controls says your bass is working correctly but might need better shielding.