1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buzz/Frying eggs sound in my bass when turning the treble up

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Langueta, May 11, 2010.

1. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    I have a tobias growler 5 strings made by gibson.
    I am having this noise wich is loud if I am near the amp (GK 1001rb2, hartke xl) and Its noticable when I don`t touch the strings, and when I boost the treble to the max. In flat settings Its not noticable. Moreover, the noise is more noticable at my home (computer, tv) than at reahearsals.
    The lid of the control cavity is shielded, the control cavity inside also, I don´t know if the pickups are shielded (It seems it was shielded from factory, the aluminum is a bit broken)
    The noise is louder when I move the bass closer to the amp. If I move it 50 inches further the noise reduce considerably.
    I love the tone of this bass, it has a very warm sound, the only problem is that annoying noise.
    Can you help me please??? (I expect this can be solved)

2. Computer speakers pick up a wide array of extraneous sounds from the airwaves and such, phone signals etc. Have you checked your output jack? A different cable perhaps?

3. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    Yes I did.
    My bass has two treble knobs, while turning on the left, it makes a louder noise. It is similar to a radio interference, a buzz, not a hiss (the right one is more hissy).
    The noise is louder when I move the bass closer to the amp. If I move it 50 inches further the noise reduce considerably.

4. Does it go away when you touch the strings? Can you test for continuity (electrical conductance, use an ohm-meter or a lightbulb continuity tester) between the bridge and the control cavity? it sounds like you might have a bad ground wire connection between the bridge and the shielding... or you could just have no shielding, but usually you have a ground wire that ties the bridge (and the strings/tuners along with it) to the electronics and the shield, which follows the cable to the amp/power ground. I'd check that first.

5. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    When I put my hand closer to the strings this sound appears, it is like a crackling or a frying sound