1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BUzz/Hum below the 12th

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Iamjacksbass, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Iamjacksbass

Iamjacksbass Banned

Nov 29, 2006
    Ok here my predicament. I have nice Fender Jazz Bass. It's in good condition and I keep it up well. Here's my problem. Below the twelfth fret I get buzz on the A,D,and G String, less on the E. According to Garry Willis's Set up guide,that would imply that I have too much relief in my neck. Although my neck is almost staight. In fact, if I were to take any more relief out the upper frets would start to buzz. To be specific it's more of a hum, then a buzz, so I don't know if that normal for all basses. Besided that my strings may be old, but I'm not sure there isnt any marks on the bottom of the string. I've check for high frets, and it's not that eithers. I can pretty much guarantee two things. It's not my neck, and its not my frets. So thou who is more wiser then me, can you give me and explanation on why this is happening, or is this normal?

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    "Besided that my strings may be old"

I'd look there - many times, setup issues can be traced directly back to beat strings...

- georgestrings