Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buzz in bedroom? Whats the problem?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groovejam, Jun 30, 2005.

1. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    Whenever I play certain notes (sometimes most notes) through my Eden 115XL there is an very loud "buzz" or "rattle" that comes from some object or piece of furnature in my bedroom, or maybe somewhere else in house. Any ideas?

I know sound can play tricks on one, but it seems to be comming from my entertainment center. This contains a T.V. a V.C.R a Playstaion 2 an A/V reciver unit and 100 disk cd changer, some cds and video tapes in compartments....
    It is not fret buzz, it is certainly a loud buzz comming from something other than my bass, and I dont think my cabinet is playing tricks with my ears

Any thoughts?

2. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    my fan/lights always buzz. also cd's and stuff like that or say, a watch on a counter or table.

3. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Some things don't like certain frequncies.

In an old basement, every time I hit an A (and a couple other notes), part of the window would rattle.

If you don't mind it and isn't too loud, don't worry about it. Especially if you don't play with other people there, don't let it bother you and ignore it.

4. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    I'm working on ignoring it, but it is really loud sometimes, its like I hear more buzz than I do the tone of my bass... I guess i could try moving things like tapes and cds to different area.

5. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Windows seem to hate A's... I have the same problem in a few places I practice at. (house, g/f's house etc)

6. Sounds like you have some Hollow Core Doors in there.
    I have this problem in my bedroom.

7. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    This Effect that you are talking about is called in sound world
    resonance effect of your room.

The resonance happen at the low or low mid range of frequencies and it's a result of your room size.
    Your Amp is producing many frequency and one of them is exactly at the length of your room ...this thing make the specific frequency to resonant.
    (Because this specific frequency is in the exact length of your room it cause him to stay longer in the room compared to other frequencies)

This specific frequency which is the resonanting frequency is
    getting it's gain increased and this thing make some stuff in your room vibrate (Loud sound waves in a certain frequency).

one option for you is to find the resonance frequency and cut it with notch EQ and other way is to build a bass trap. which will decrease this specific frequeny.
    There is a way to calculate this resonance frequency and then you'll be able to know which frequency to cut on your EQ or what size of Bass trap you need.

Cheers

8. I know what you mean. My EBS often sounds horrible at home, because of the small place, and the whole house that moves while playing :)
    I'm buying a 112 this summer, I think I'm just fine for home then

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Almost my whole house shakes when I turn my Trace up :p

I find putting things on soft surfaces (carpet, doonah/beding etc) helps. That's if it's things like CD's and other loose items.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've got to tell you, about a dozen smart-@$$ remarks went through my brain as I read the title to this thread. :p

But to answer your question, I find it very common to rattle the majority of the house when I play. In fact, it tends to "rain" dust and debris in my basement! It is possible that I am playing too loudly, but when I do get the wife and the kids out of the house, I like to have fun!

Now, it is possible that we are all getting your comments wrong, and you are talking about some kind of electronic buzz that occurs when you turn your amp on, and it's not related to the notes you are playing. If this is the case, then I am baffled, too.

Tom.

11. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    my pictures often buzz against the wall in my room when i play because my amps sorta aimed right at a wall of two or three of them. I think i've gotten used to it now tho and it's not as noticeable to me anymore.

12. Every object has a frequency related to it. (Remember seeing the lady break the glass?) If you play a note that corresponds to the frequency that an object has (it has to do with density, molecular structure, etc.) it will shake. It is the same principal as breaking the glass. A friend of mine who is an engineer explained it to me once. He used a lot more words than I just did.

13. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    My Fender 1x12 Bassman 150 rattles my whole room and floor almost as much as a 1x15, but with more clarity!

14. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Me too! :p

It's the opposite for me. I play in a downstairs room. Pictures fall off the wall upstairs, and plates on the table/bench have been known to vibrate ;)

15. LOOK OUT!!! BEES!!!!!!

Randy :eek:

16. Westy

Westy

Jun 9, 2005
    Ireland
    :p

17. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Interesting. I like the explanation. What's a bass trap?

18. i had the same problem whe i played a "D." all the pictures on my walls would vibrate. i take them down whenever i play with a good amount of volume.

19. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    bass tends to shake and rattle stuff, resonant frequencies are those certain notes that go wooooo more than others. you could turn down or play somewhere else. :D

20. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    Thanks guys, Maybe I'll have to take my amp somewhere else to know if this is the problem for sure, but i think it is.
    The room I play in has a very particular shape, the sides of the ceiling slant downward making it a pentagon type thing.
    I will have a 1X12 soon, maybe that will help.