1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

buzz in first fret of A and D string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by toxxikmag, Apr 11, 2010.

1. toxxikmag

toxxikmag

Apr 11, 2010
    Hi, i have kinda a weird problem with my bass (Metalman ML 2A), i just bought it two days ago, and while playing/tuning it i noticed that the A string and D string (less), don´t make a good sound in the first fret and do some buzz, it seems like the A string only buzz, the G and E strings are ok.

The strange part of this (at least for me) its that all the other frets in those strings..... sound great!

Could be the strings? I try to find info on the web but i only find adjustements of the neck/truss rod, but.... For 1 fret of 2 strings?

Thanks for your help

PS - I feel the A string loose at the fret, i don´t know if its part of my inexperience

2. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    I would measure the relief of the instrument while tuned to pitch. There are many guides on how to do so in the sticky thread at the top of the forum (All Basic Setup Questions...).

3. toxxikmag

toxxikmag

Apr 11, 2010
    Thanks Joshua... I will be checking it

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, sounds like a set up issue.

5. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    First fret buzz on the middle strings ... I'd suspect either the nut slot height, or more likely, a tall fret or popped fret. Neck relief doesn't change much at the first fret, if at all, but it should be checked too. Usually that would cause a problem on the largest string. Neck warp is possible too. A good setup by a good tech will solve it.

6. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Too little relief can easily create buzz in the lower registers, and it can be on any combo of strings (or a single string) depending on the other setup specifics.

Without some basic diagnostics (which is why I recommended starting with measuring the relief) it's all simply guessing.