1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buzz in lower postions, action high(ish)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DeliriumTremens, Apr 21, 2009.

1. I recently scored a used Spector NS2000 Q5. In the lower positions there is some fairly bad fret buzz. I believe this means I need to loosen the truss rod. The action is already quite high and I am not sure there is enough room left in the saddles to adjust adequately after I loosen the rod. Might I need to shim the neck? If so, what is the best material to make one from? How thick would it need to be? Thanks :)

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    First let's make sure we are talking the same language - when you say "lower positions" do you mean closer to the nut or to the bridge? Every once in a while I have dealt with someone who said they had problems playing higher up and they meant closer to the nut!

So if you mean that you get buzz in positions closer to the nut, then generally a little more relief is called for - i.e. loosen the truss rod a bit. You may need to lower the bridge a bit after you do this - so I don't see the need for a neck shim unless your bridge saddles are as low as they will go now.

3. closer to the nut. thanks for the advice