1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buzz in one specific place?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Popmann, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Popmann

Popmann

Sep 8, 2004
    Twangville
    I've done setups on my basses and guitars for years...I know the fundamentals, but my new AmStd Precision5 has a problem I've never run into.

It has very even keel, low action all over. Plays great--not even buzzing if I dig in a bit. EXCEPT...on the A string starting on the 9th fret (and up to the bridge end of the fretboard). It buzzes unless I EVER so lightly play. Unlike the entire rest of the fretboard, which I can dig into and not buzz--actually the best of all my basses for that...

I've tried rasing the A string saddle, to the point that the action is significantly higher on that string than all others...yet, it makes only a slight improvement in that area.

If it were a raised fret or a relief issue, I would think I'd see it on other strings...if the 9th fret were low, even just on that string, it would go away on the 10th, which it doesn't. It's like magic--8th fret=fine. 9, 10, 11...and on...BAD buzz.

thoughts? Advice? things to check? it's just something I've never run into...and on on a bass that's actually the best playing 5 I've ever played otherwise.

2. mike_Ro11

mike_Ro11

Dec 17, 2007
    I have a similar problem the A string on my usa deluxe j bass buzzes by hitting the second fret. other strings are fine. the worst of it is when I hit open A. I am taking to be professionally set up to see it that solves it.

3. Popmann

Popmann

Sep 8, 2004
    Twangville
    does it continue up the neck FROM the 2nd, or just on the second and open?

Open says it's a nut pocket issue. If it's just the open and 2nd, I'd think there's an issue with the nut AND second fret.

That's what's so weird about this...it STARTS on the 9th and goes all the way up the neck---but only on that string. Like there's a high spot on the last fret only on the A string?

4. Popmann

Popmann

Sep 8, 2004
    Twangville
    I'll check. If it is...what would you think that would be?

Update. I got home and got to check it a little more. It's actually the 8th it starts on...and consistently buzzes up to 14. After that, it returns to a normal level of "if I hit really hard it briefly buzzes".

Sweeping a metal ruler over the frets in the area, it doesn't seem to be any gaps or high spots...but, this more in depth look does point to the 14th fret having a high spot, no?

5. Popmann

Popmann

Sep 8, 2004
    Twangville
    No, it's not behind the fret.

It not nearly as bad through the amp, FWIW. It's absurd sounding unplugged. I'll have to DI it and see how it works that way. Worst case, I'll take it in to the local tech and see what he has to say.

I just want to make sure it's not a fundamental issue while I'm still under the 30 day return window.