1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buzz issue that i cant track down

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stilettoprefer, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    The bass I'm referring to is a stock Schecter stiletto extreme 4. The bass has a loud buzz in the signal when I face certain directions in relation to the amp, and this happens on multiple amps. It gets much louder if I turn the treble pot up. I already looked around in the control cavity and all appears to be well. Any ideas? I'm handy with tools and have done many wiring jobs (no active circuits though), so I don't really wanna take it into a shop.

Here's pics of the wiring:

9d035d2b.

1e308633.

2. have you tried different cables? There is also ground wire under the bridge, you may need to take the strings off and pull the bridge off and check that ground wire.

3. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Yeah I've tried different cables, and this doesn't happen with my P bass through the amps that I've tried. I'll investigate the bridge ground though!

EDIT: the bridge ground is solid.

4. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    The pot values are all mixed if that makes a difference... The blend pot is 250K, master volume is 25k, the treble and bass are both 50K.

And the sheilding paint is incredibly thin, but it's grounded through the washers on the pots.

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I was thinking it looked very thin. You might be well served by putting some copper shielding tape on the bottom of the cavity. Foil is more efficient than a lot of the paint, and it's thicker as well.

Do all the pots have ground wires soldered them the backs? That can help also. It would be lower resistance than the paint, which is rather high resistance, and since it's an active bass, grounding the pot backs helps with noise in the circuit.

6. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    I was kinda thinking that sheilding might help with this, so I'll have to get some sheilding tape soon and see if that helps! And yes, the pot casings are all grounded, most are on the side of the actual casing, so it's hard to see in the pictures.

Thanks for the help!! While the bass is apart, Is there a way to make access to the battery compartment quick, or am I just destined to removing 5 screws to access it?