1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buzz Issue With Marcus Miller Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tedward, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Tedward

Tedward Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2006
    southern california
    As the title says it's a Marcus Miller with stock pickups and Aguilar-op2 preamp. Control cavity
    and pickup cavities are shielded with copper foil and connected with a ground wire. All is quiet until I touch the slugs on the pickups and get a loud buzz. I grounded the slugs with no good results. It even buzzes when I get my hand close to the pickups and not even touching them. I have checked all grounds and it all looks good.

Tedward

2. The pickups are single coils, with just two single wires from each, right?

Sounds like the inner windings (start of the coils) are on the hot side of the circuit. Try reversing the phase of both pickups so that the start of the coils are at earth. You just need to swap the hot and earth wires on both pickups. This may not completely kill the buzz, but should reduce it. If the pickups have shielded cables instead of two single wires, you'll have to do this at the bobbin.

If you just used copper tape stuck to the bottom of each bobbin to earth the magnets, well I find this is prone to failing. Even though everyone recommends it, and also many high-end winders use this method, I have found that it stops working after a period of time. (I mean no disrespect to those guys BTW, I'm just reporting on what I have found over many years of tech work.) IMHO, you are better off using just a strip of copper, to solder to, then shielding paint that covers the magnets, and part of the copper. You'll need to thoroughly clean the bottom of the bobbin with solvent before taping and/or painting. This is because there is often potting wax on the surface.

Geri O likes this.
  3. Tedward

Feb 15, 2006
    southern california
    Thanks for the reply RobbieK. I'll switch the wires and use shielding paint on the bottoms of the pickups, too. And report back.

Tedward

4. Tedward

Feb 15, 2006
    southern california
    Found the problem. A stray strand of wire was shorting out to the input on the volume pot. All is quiet now.

Tedward

RobbieK likes this.