Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buzz (of "Disturbed")

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Paolo, Mar 18, 2001.

1. Hi Anyone know Disturbed, a band of Nu Metal ?
    Buzz, the bassist, i think is good.
    Anyone know which effects he utiliize on the bass ?

2. All I know is that he uses a stingray. Maybe if you search fansites you will find more info.

3. By the way it's Fuzz, not Buzz. He uses a Stingray 5 and Ampeg amps, the only effect he uses is compression, I'm pretty sure.

4. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    Who cares, all Disturbed does is rip off other bands and they're guitarist doesnt even play his guitar solo's live. They're singer is absolutly horrible.

What a joke of a band.

5. I second that InternalPrimate. I don't actually like them, I was just telling what he used. Their shxt isn't even heavy, it's like damn techno-rock.

6. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    This band is awful , how can you punish yourself listening to them? , If I could actally hear the bass then I could identify whether this buzz or fuzz? has any talent whatsoever. Any way is'nt Marilyn Mansons bassist called Fuzz? He only has 3 strings on his bass and seems to play on only the E string or whatever he has tuned it to.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Disturbed is probably my least favorite band right now. I hate them! What poseurs.

8. moonraker. however i agree with the fact that disturbed is awful, marilyn manson's bassists name is twiggy, has two strings on his bass, and mostly utilizes the a string. on the other hand, he has no talent whatsoever so it dosent really matter.

9. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    Disturbed is not my favorite band either, i personally think they suck but i did read the small article in BP about "Fuzz" and it said that he used a stingray 5, and an ampeg SVT with ampeg cabs, and no effects to speak of. But it was actually kind of funny because in the article he kept slamming himself with stuff like "no one is going to say, that bass player is really good" or something to that extent. Also the one thing he boasted was that on one song, instead of playing an open E string, he played 3 octaves of E. Stand aside geezer butler! I personally think its sad that people can become popular and succesfull when even they themselves realize that they suck.

10. odie

odie Supporting Member

Just a heads up, If anyone wants to know the setup that a band uses goto html://www.guitargeek.com
    It may not have some of the smaller unknown bands guitar setups, and has even less bass players setups, but they have alot and you can request players and/or bands to listed. They even show how the cable routing from processor to amps go etc...

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    C'mon now guys, can't a guy ask a question without being assaulted? If you have a beef with Disturbed, go make a thread "I hate Disturbed". Otherwise, keep your yappers shut unless you have something to add to the subject of the thread.

12. I actually like Disturbed.Their music grew on me.I like some of the ideas used on the album...It really doesn't matter what musicians think about them because we don't make up the majority of their audience.They're touring,making loads of money and have serious endorsements.They aren't working day jobs and are living what many of us dream about.But hey,that's just my opnion and the truth.

13. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL

You know what though, Twiggy from Marilyn Manson is actually a guitarist and a very talented one at that, but guitars are lame anyway! ;)

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well if somebody says that such and such a bassist is good, then to me, it is adding to the thread if somebody mentions an article where the person himself says that he's not that good. I'd rather people were honest and it's not like anybody is being really abusive here, just honest about what they see - I'm sure some people are in the business for reasons other than music and why not say that?

Where does it say that we have to like every bassist and must be positive about them? On of the reasons I like forums like this, is because you get genuine opinions, whereas you know that magazines like Bass Player can't say anything bad for fear of upsetting potential advertisers. I think that this thread is remarkably "On Topic" and I can think of hudreds that are more worthy of complaint.

15. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Actually, I like some of what I've heard from them. I look at the band as a whole before I start dissecting them (same thing about Marilyn Manson). Aside from some of the Nu cliches that they do, they have some musical ideas happening. There's a song getting airplay now ("Breathing"?) that has a really nice and simple guitar/drum break in it, and the chorus has some melodic content running across the screaming. I think you would find that some of these new bands are adapting natural skills to a sound that kids seem to buy - hence the overabundance of "screaming/shrieking" and monotonous droning guitars. Remember, this whole biz is about selling product.

16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I agree, Bruce, that one should voice their opinion. If you don't like a band, no need to sugar coat. I know I certainly don't like Disturbed. However, when a person asks "What kind of effects does xx use?", and the majority of the responses are "Who cares? They blow" and "They are poseurs I hate them", what purpose does that serve? Aren't these opinions better voiced in a more appropriate areas? To ask a question and have it totally disregarded by people who don't like that band seems counterproductive, and could discourage people from posting in the future. That's all I was saying.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well there are actually three statements including two questions in the original post. The first one is aking if anyone has heard of them, then there is a statement saying the bass player is good and the last part asks about effects. Several people do answer the last part and say that they don't think he uses any - but why shouldn't people also respond to the two other parts of this post?

That is - if they have heard of them and whether they think the bassplayer is any good. If the poster had only asked about effects then I can see your point being valid, but as it is, my view is that all the posts in this thread are remarkably "On Topic" and are all replying to what the poster said.