Buzz on a Baby Blue 2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman040, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Just acquired one of those sweet Baby Blue 2 combos. Love every part of it, except the buzz that just gets louder as i turn the amp up. I tried hooking up my distortion pedals on the effects loop, it just sounds horrible, especially since it just amplifies the buzz. According to the previous owner, he changed the tube but the buzz persisted. Anybody out there, please help me!!!
  2. Does it buzz if nothing is plugged into the input?
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That does not sound normal. Do you have a qualified technician in your neck of the woods?

4. yes.. it buzzes without anything plugged into the input. yea, i could get it to a technician as a last resort, but i'd rather fix it myself if i could since i'm pretty much broke after spending quite abit on the amp. besides, the previous owner said that the technicians he sent it to asked him to change the tube, and that there was nothing they could've done about it apart from that. i don't think these amps are supposed to buzz, they're studio amps and are supposed to be among the cleanest ones out there.
  5. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    my guess is a cold solder joint or a capacitor going bad - tell me, if you turn up the power amp but turn down the preamp, does it get worse, better or the same? I'm trying to find out is the problem in the power amp section - also, turn down the output all the way and see if it produces the sound out of the XLR out/headphone jacks. Try to isolate it as much as possible, THEN take it to a tech - you could save a bunch of time and money.

PS - unless you KNOW how to work on electronics, I wouldn't advise you to start messing around with your amp. Capacitors store a LOT of power in them, and you could seriously hurt yourself/kill yourself. Money's important, but not worth your life, man.
  6. yea, i tried turning down the preamp and turn up the power amp, the buzz got louder. while i turned down the power amp all the way, and turned up the preamp all the way and listened in the headphone, no buzz. that means the buzz is coming out of the power amp right? if the problem is a capacitor, does anyone on the forum know how to swap one out? if it's just a job of discharging the capacitor, getting a new one that costs a mere couple of bucks, and just soldering the new one on, i'd probably need some help from you guys to talk me through, instead of getting a tech who's gonna charge me like a hundred bucks for something like that.
  7. iammr2

Jun 10, 2002

You want us to talk you through shocking the snot out of yourself??? Read Kitsapbass' response again slowly, especially the part about "hurt yourself/kill yourself". It's worth $100 to see another day. And that amp will sound sweeeet when it's fixed. I know cause I just got done practicing on mine.
  8. yea, i guess you're right. but, i still wanna determine what's with the buzz. hasn't anybody experienced it before?
  9. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    if it IS a capacitor. It could also be a cold solder joint, either one would create a sound like this. Talk to a tech, tell them your suspicions, and they will most likely check the caps first, with "jumpers' to isolate the individual caps. If that doesn't work, they're gonna have to check each component to see if there are good solder joints. Either way, do NOT work on it if you don't know what you are doing. If you are worried about money, see if you can pay on a time if you can leave collateral, if necessary.

Sorry bro, I know what it's like. I paid $175 for 2 cold solder joints.