Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buzz on fret cos by the weather?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by huibe001, Jul 25, 2000.

1. huibe001

huibe001

Jul 7, 2000
    hey my bass got a really low string action. Once in awhile i noticed that my fret buzz in really cold or hot weather. I suspect that the change in temperature cos them to buzz. are they any way to eliminate the buzz at all? i really prefer neck made of wood not graphite . and does the problem happen to those higher end wooden neck? thank you

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It is caused by the wood neck on the bass, reacting to changes in temperature AND humidity.. It afflicts almost all wood neck basses, from $149 Squiers to $4000 Ken Smiths.. The best protection is to keep the bass in a climate controlled(air conditioned) facility stored in an airtight case, and to make temperature changes as gradual as possible, for instance, Pedulla recommends that if you keep your bass indoors and are playing outside in 90 degree weather, to let the bass adjust to the temperature IN THE CASE for 3-4 hours..

It's not quite THAT bad, but I've seen cheap basses go from very low action to bowed necks almost instantly from drastic climate changes..

------------------
    check out my basses on my gear page! http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/robson/1174/music/gear.html

the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort