1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buzz on G string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Twice19, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Twice19

Twice19

May 27, 2018
    Can anyone the cause of the buzzing on the G?

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I did not catch any serious buzz in that video. Your bass probably just needs a proper setup. You can find lots of good resources on this site to show you the process. I recommend Jerzy Drozd's Ultimate Setup Guide, you can find it at the stickies at the top of this forum.

rohi and RyanOh like this.
  3. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nice playing. I hear a slight buzz on A or D too I think, but it's not too bad.

The bridge saddle may need to be raised up a bit. If you're in an area where the weather has changed recently, the wood neck is reacting to changes in humidity/temp that may require a seasonal adjustment...possibly truss rod adjustment along with bridge saddle height.

It's normal.

4. Twice19

Twice19

May 27, 2018
    So fret buzz above the fretted note doesnt get picked up by the Pups, and fret buzz below the fretted note does?

5. RyanOh

You're hearing fret buzz between the left hand and the nut?

The truss rod inside can buzz too, suggest you check that thread about doing a setup on the bass and checking the neck relief.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  6. Twice19

Twice19

May 27, 2018
    That's not me in the video. I'm looking into get a million j classic, and found that video.

7. RyanOh

You can get any bass setup to play pretty well if it's decent quality. I wouldn't use the video to make you decide one way or the other on that brand of bass.

Maybe ask a question about that brand for others to answer, I'm not familiar with it.

8. Twice19

Twice19

May 27, 2018
    To the buzz sounds like brand new, minutes old light gauge strings. Just wanted to see if anyone would agree with my suspicions.

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Although it is rarely fretbuzz, you can get still have buzzing issues beyond where you are fretting. I would give your bass a proper setup before attempting to diagnose any issues.

I have never heard of a temporary buzz associated with new strings. If the strings are causing buzzing, there is probably a burr or twist.