1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buzz on LH1000/Hydrive410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jvalenzh, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Hi. I recently bought a used Hartke LH1000 head with a Hartke Hydrive 410 cab. I love the purchase! But yesterday I had a gig at a venue where I was getting a very loud buzz from the amp (hasn't happened elsewhere). If this is a grounding issue from the place, could I use a cheater on the amp's power plug to solve this? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Javier.

2. OB311

OB311

Nov 4, 2011
    Columbus
    I recently bought the LH1000, haven't hooked it up to my cabs yet. But.......in the store I notice that when the 'brite' button is on, it hisses. It stopped as soon as I turned it off. Try that, not sure if power conditioning would solve it. Hopefully some of the technical guru's will respond to you! :ninja:

3. Thanks man. But it's not the brite button, nor the tweeter. I realize that hisses but it's normal. This is a different buzz.

4. OB311

OB311

Nov 4, 2011
    Columbus
    Then I would check batteries (if you use an active bass, or pedals), and your cables. When the brite button is off on mine....I get no buzz at all.

5. OB311

OB311

Nov 4, 2011
    Columbus
    Oh yeah, does this happen hooked up in you practice space? If it only happened at the venue, then you probably are experiencing a power issue.

6. Yeah, it's only at that venue. That's why I think it could be grounding there, so maybe just a cheater on the power plug could do. But I wanted to hear people's opinion.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    does the buzz go away when you unplug the cable from the amp, or when you turn the bass's volume off? if so, the buzz is getting in there, and is probably not gonna be helped by the risky maneuver of the ground cheater plug.

also, were you using the DI out to go to the PA? sometimes you get ground loops causing nasty buzz when that's being used.

8. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Did the venue have neon lights nearby?
    this happens to me at one particular place we play at..and its from some neon light humm.
    If u dont get it under normal circumstances..i wldnt worry too much.

ymmv.

9. Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

walterw: Yes, the buzz went away when I turned the bass's volume off. Wasn't using a DI. But I don't get this buzz at other places. What would you suggest to do?

Bassdirty: The place has lights, not sure what kind. Maybe it is that.

Thanks!

10. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'd guess the problem is with bad wiring or lights or dimmers causing the bass to buzz, not the amp.

11. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
  12. Thanks guys! Is there any solution for those cases where there's bad wiring/lights/ground?

Javier.

13. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    Yep, become good friends with your volume knob!

Slam the volume off between songs, or even during songs if there's longer sections where you don't play.

I use a tele with single coils into crunchy guitar amps, and it's all about working the "manual noise gate" between songs or even between licks.

14. Thanks! Will do that. I appreciate the help!

15. jjmf

jjmf Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Edmonton AB Canada
    my LH1000 has a significant buzz when amp is on and NO bass/cord is plugged in, with the same speaker/cords/power cable used on my other amps does not have the buzz- any insight? are these generally loud buzz amps?