1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buzz on open low E and first fret on E on Dano Rumor

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CaptainGrog, Jan 21, 2012.

1. CaptainGrog

CaptainGrog

Jun 24, 2011
    Ok so I just got a Danelectro Rumor bass and I like it. Theres only one problem. theres a hugee buzz when I play an open E on the low E string and on the first fret. I know that the truss rods are hard to access in these basses, so is there anything else I can do? I read something about nut adjustment..Im not sure what to do though. The buzz is basically just only on those notes and sometimes on the first and second frets on the A string. The buzz can clearly be heard through an amp as well.
    Please help

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

First the open E, you need to know nut mechanics so if the following setup tips don't work, you will understand what's likely happening. The string should only make contact with the nut on a small patch at the very fret side of the nut. From there the slot should angle down toward the head back toward the tuners so the string isn't in contact back there. You can check by bending the string with your thumb and looking from the top of the nut and seeing where that contact patch is. If it's in the middle of the nut, it will rattle and it needs work. Remember that the nut won't affect fretted notes... usually, unless it's been hacked upon by an idiot.

BUT before you worry about that, first check to make sure the break angle is good back to the tuners. The strings should come off the tuners as low to the head as possible.

Set the witness points on all strings, pressing down just on the fret side of the nut so the string isn't arced over the nut. Do the same at the bridge.

As for the first fret buzz, you need some relief added OR you may have a high fret further up. If you pull the neck and set relief, try only about 1/8th turn at a time, it may not take much to help. If you need more than 1/4 turn, you likely have a high fret situation.

3. CaptainGrog

CaptainGrog

Jun 24, 2011
    well i just noticed the strings are pretty high off of the nut and dont really fit in..if that makes any sense. could the strings just be too thick? or is the solution not that simple?

sorry for not knowing much, i never really do repair stuff on any of my basses.

4. 96tbird

Yeah the slots are too narrow for your strings if they aren't sitting in the bottom. I don't suggest you mess with the nut if you don't know what to do, it may cost a new nut if you mess it up. Take it to a pro for a full diagnosis and estimate. He may be able to get away with filing the nut and tweaking the truss for a few bucks. Or get smaller gauge strings like .095

5. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    It sounds like the nut is cut too low maybe ?
    Thats the biggest thing when you get rattle on open notes.
    Though do what 96bird said to be sure.

6. 96tbird

Nope, read this again Growly.

7. CaptainGrog

CaptainGrog

Jun 24, 2011
    I dont know if this will help but when I tighten the string the buzz isnt there. Im definitely going to replace the strings soon though

8. Try looking at the string above the first fret, I once had some strings where there was a dent above the fret and it cause buzzing, in that case I just restrung it with the dent facing outwards

9. CaptainGrog

CaptainGrog

Jun 24, 2011
    It seems to have gotten alot worse..I tried to adjust the truss rod but it was just way too hard and i didnt wanna break it. and i also sanded a LITTLE off of the nut. very little. it just seems to have gotten worse

10. CaptainGrog

CaptainGrog

Jun 24, 2011
    When I push down the area before the nut, closer to the tuners and play open it seems to be a little better

11. CaptainGrog

CaptainGrog

Jun 24, 2011
    OK, I switched the E string with the one that was on my Fender..and it pretty much went away, the Fender string looked thicker though. Could this really have solved it?