Buzz persists after thorough shielding

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Renegade Riff, May 17, 2020.

1. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Ah, so Wet Wet Wet would love that:

dkelley likes this.
  2. jbrew73

jbrew73

Dec 24, 2006
    Just start over and do it right . You can’t may chicken salad with chicken poop.

3. Gibson Victory

Gibson Victory Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2019
    I was also going to mention checking the bridge grounding. In a lot of cases the ground wire from the controls, etc., comes up through the body, some insulation is stripped, and the wire is “sandwiched “ between the bridge and body when it is assembled. Might not hurt to check and make sure this is correct. Just an idea.

16notes likes this.
  4. Killed_by_Death

no, No, NO!
    the bridge is already grounded or the noise wouldn't reduce when touching strings

projectapollo and scuzzy like this.
  5. Ric5

Ric5 Inactive

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I like 5, 8, 10, and 12 string basses
    Buzz persists after thorough shielding

you know … I would just remove the pots, the jack and all of the wires and start from scratch … 2 pots, a jack and a capacitor, and some wires … not much of an investment … keep the pickup and the pickup wires.

6. Aluminum tape has issues. Yes, you may rub the overlap with marker or something and get it to show continuity with your meter - but it won't stay that way over time. It will lose conductivity as the surfaces oxidize. Besides ... if you use Aluminum tape in the pickup cavity, the only way to connect that to ground is with a mechanical connection (a screw pressing the ground wire tight against the foil) because you can't solder it. And besides, the surface of the aluminum is oxidizing over time so that mechanical connection won't last. Copper works much better and easier and isn't expensive if you buy it somewhere besides StewMac.

7. Honkey tonk

Honkey tonk Turn it up

Feb 10, 2019
    Lower 48
    Bridge isn't grounded... so Strings are not grounded when you touch the strings on a ungrounded bridge you Become the ground soaking up any RF . Strings being so close to the pickup need to be grounded.
    the coil in a pickup naturally wants to receive signal ...
    ungrounded strings with a close proximity to a pickup, the strings act as antenna the space between is a capacitance, the coil is the receiver .

Might try to turn off all lights and appliances in the house

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  8. Bass4ThePublic

Bass4ThePublic Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Kansas City
    2 questions. Did you buy copper tape with conductive adhesive? Also, wouldn't it be easier for the pots to be touching the copper tape instead of relying on a jumper wire from the pickguard to the pot?

Edit: It seems my questions have been answered by actually reading the thread lol!

9. projectapollo

projectapollo Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Tennessee
    I went crazy trying to solve a hum in a passive P bass. (As stated above, its not shielding which prevents induced noise from nearby electrical interference, lights.). It turned out to be a ground loop somewhere in my home wiring that this bass was susceptible to. Touching it stopped the bass hum. The key insight was taking the bass to other locations and it sounded fine. In my house, it hums up like crazy. I had a Lakland Glaub and Fender P that did this, only when plugged into gear plugged into my home AC power. I have another Fender P and J that work just fine. My active basses behave, as well. My homes previous owner had a garage stall converted to a den, which is now my bass space. I suspect the electricians adding the new circuits to the house did something wrong, creating a ground loop. So, if you have not done so, try your bass at someone else's house or venue.

10. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    I’ve got dimmers that cause huge problems. Check your dimmers and check your LED lights. Try playing with all the lights off and see if it’s better. If so it may be that you need an AC filter, or better dimmers. Or glow-in-the-dark fretmarkers.

ctmullins likes this.
  11. Renegade Riff

Renegade Riff

May 10, 2020
    OK, final update on the whole issue. Once again, many thanks.

So yesterday removed the white insulating tape, shielded the bottom of the pots and output jack, removed that cable joining the volume pot to the shielding, triple-checked the grounding of the bridge, and checked the output jack. It was dirty, so I cleaned it. And I found an extra nut between it and the shielding... doing nothing as far as I could see other than maybe standing in the way of good grounding. So I took it away.

I wanted to test by parts so I plugged it in without even the bridge attached. It was silent. Then I added the bridge and it started getting noisy. It got especially noisy when I placed my hand over the pickups. My tele was noisier than the bass without the bridge, but with the bridge they were kind of even, except when I placed my hand over the pickups (the bass was very noisy, the tele was quiet). Then I did what a lot of folks suggested, which was to try another room. And here it was silent, and so was the tele.

I have changed so many things, tested so many possibilities, compared so many things, that now I don't know what to believe. I now know, after these final changes, that the bass is properly shielded and apparently properly grounded. So that's great. Now... was it the room all along? If so, why did the tele (and an Ibanez bass) not make a buzz but my p bass yes? I notice now that the Ibanez is an active, not passive, bass. Could it be that my p bass, for whatever reason, was more susceptible to the room's grounding problem than the other axes? It was a grounding problem in the end all right (the room's grounding), but then why did the strings become quieter when I touched them? I don't know enough about electronics to get to the bottom of this. All I know is that's it's been a very interesting ride and I have learned lots of stuff. And that I should get a multimeter ;-)

12. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician - Retired
    This is entirely wrong. You are the source of the noise. If the bridge is grounded your noise gets drained to ground when you touch the strings or any other part of the bass that is grounded. If you read the post above you will see that the noise increased when he put his hand over the pickup. The noise from his body was being picked up by the bass.

scuzzy and mcnach like this.
  13. Killed_by_Death

This thread has been bombed with people weighing in with incorrect information, so I can see how you'd be confused.
    If you won't trust me, at least trust Turnaround, he does this for a living.

scuzzy, ctmullins and mcnach like this.
  14. Honkey tonk

Honkey tonk Turn it up

Feb 10, 2019
    Lower 48
    Quote from OPs original post
    "I had buzz that went away when I placed my hands on the strings. "

Capacitance happining between string and coil , hence noise , RF has no path to ground , persons nor amp ...

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  15. Killed_by_Death

If the noise decreases when touching the strings, the bridge is connected to chassis-ground.
    This is a fact & not even debatable.

It's not just radio-frequency:

(Radio-Frequency Interference) RFI vs. EMI (ElectroMagnetic Interference)

scuzzy likes this.
  16. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician - Retired
    Exactly! When the strings are touched the person is grounded and that drains the noise from the person's body to ground. No more noise.

scuzzy likes this.
  17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

You can solder to aluminum tape, it is just a lot more difficult. While it may degrade over time, I have used aluminum tape for years without any issue. That being said, the reason I moved away from tape in general is because the adhesive can lose grip over time. Although I have never seen that occur either, I didn't want to worry about it. I do all my job with conductive paint now. It is much easier to work with as well.

18. Killed_by_Death

These threads would be hilarious if it weren't so SAD how they boggle the mind of the person seeking help.
    I'm not going to count how many times "bridge ground" has incorrectly been brought up, or false statements about shielding tape. Get the REAL thing, don't be too cheap to do it correctly! (it's not expensive, except from Stew-Mac).

What boggles my mind is how the ill-informed want to spread this "information" they have, and even when it's explained to them (in detail) that it's incorrect they go on to argue how it is as they say, LMAO!

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    scuzzy and mcnach like this.
  19. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    You asked a few questions:

It could have been an issue in the electrical supply to the outlet in that room, or an issue with other equipment in/near that room (LED lights, dimmers, the furnace in the room next door, the pump on the fish tank in the other end of the room, etc.). It's hard to say without trying process of elimination, but the lesson is, lots of things can produce "noise" that a magnetic pickup will respond to.

Typically (I'm sure someone will come along shortly and try to skewer me for suggesting "typical" scenarios), active basses are less susceptible to noise. Some types of pickup (humbucker vs single coil, hot vs low output, etc etc) are a little more susceptible, too. And not all shielding is equivalent - an instrument with a metal pickguard and thick shielding in the cavities will respond to noise differently than one with spotty conductive paint or thin metal foil shielding. So - it's really no surprise that some instruments will be noisier than others.

Noise is really a spectrum - rather than think of one instrument as silent and another as noisy, it's probably more correct to think of one instrument rejecting more noise than the other. And it's most correct to think of that relative noise as a percentage of noise in a given environment that an instrument will reject. Some rooms/houses/stages are noisier than others. If you took your three instruments to a really noisy room, you might find that they all buzz a bit. Or if you took them to a room without a lot of background noise, you might find that they all seemed quiet, or even silent.

As others have explained - your body is giving off noise. Some of this is due to the fact that you're a living human with biological processes happening inside you, and some of it is due to the fact that you're basically acting as a big reflector for other noise sources nearby. When you touch something that's grounded, the minute electrical signals that cause that noise are given a place to go (to ground) and the amount of noise you radiate or reflect is significantly reduced. Hence, touching a ground reduces the amount of noise hitting your pickup, and makes your instrument quieter - because, instead of being a source of noise, your body is now basically an extension of the shielding on your instrument.

20. Killed_by_Death

You'll need a multimeter to really check it, make sure all the things that are supposed to be grounded have continuity (Zero Ohms Ω) back to the sleeve side of the output jack.
    Did you try switching the pickup wires?
    Some pickups will have their own shielding & one of the wires will be connected to that shielding. If the wrong wire from the pickup is going to ground, that shielding will not be effective.

One possibility is just that the pickup halves are not well-balanced and/or they're just more sensitive to higher-frequency noise than your other instruments.
    Does this instrument have a lot of high-frequency output?

scuzzy likes this.