1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buzz problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by J_Bass, Feb 24, 2008.

1. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Hi, i just put new pickups and strings.

I previously had flatwounds (can´t remember the gauge) and i put the Elixir 40-95 know. I notice a buzz when i play from the 5th fret to the last, even when i play very light. From the 10th or 12 fret it gets worse.
    My neck is a little curved, but without the strings it was a perfectly straight line. I´m affraid that if i tight the neck, the problem gets worse.

I thought maybe the action is to low, but it doesn´t seem that way. From the end of the neck to the bottom of the string (without pressing any fret) there is about 3mm (0.12 inches) relief. Is this too much or should it be higher?

Thanks for all your help, i´m really worried here.

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Don't worry - it's just a matter of getting the right adjustments.

.012" is a little shy of ideal if you are measuring from a straight line from the first to last fret. Try measuring the relief when fretting at the first fret and at the fret where the neck joins the body. .012" is a good starting measurement under those conditions.

Set the relief first, then set the string height by adjusting the bridge saddle height.

One step at a time and you will get it.

3. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    I took some pictures, hope it helps.

DSCN3573.

DSCN3578.

DSCN3579.

What do you think about the curvature of the neck?

The last photo was taken without pressing any frets. Is this too high action?