Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buzz, snap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kearney, Dec 19, 2004.

1. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    my jazz bass has this wierd thing that if you dont touch the strings it buzzes, but when you do it doesnt, an when you first touch it, it clicks like static or say morse code, my dad mentioned a while ago that it might be that the amp is not grounded properly (its a 2 prong) or that i yanked one of the knobs wayyy to hard, or i might just have the treble up way too much. so any help is well appreciated

2. something isnt grounded properly on your bass. if the amp wasnt grounded i dont think the hum would go away when you touched the bass.

3. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    I agree. Definately a grounding problem. To help you narrow down the possibilities, play your bass through another amp to see if it still does it. Also, make sure that the other amp is not on the same circuit as your current setup. If the buzz is still there, then it is in you bass. Check your pots and grounding wires to fix the problem.

If that doesn't do it, try somebody else's bass through your amp, preferably a bass that doesn't have this problem already. Then, if their bass does it only on your amp, then it is your amp. I would suspect that that is where the problem is in the first place. Two prongs and no grounding spot. Not good ... :scowl:

Good luck!