1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

buzz when left hand releases a note

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by amorena1, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Hi all...
    I've had my Ibanez SR 405 for at least a year. Here's the prob:
    When I have a string depressed onto the fretboard- everything is ok, but when I let the string go, it buzzes as I release the pressure on the string. This happens no matter how fast I make the release of the note. I read the links about the set-up and I tightened the truss rod a little bit, but it did not do anything, so I assume that is not the problem. I'm not sure though, since I haven't been able to find any description or solutions to this particular problem.
    Thanks!

2. does it happen on other basses

3. No- I've played 2 other basses that belong to my friend and the other ones don't do it...

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Does your bass do it when someone else plays it? Sloppy tecnique with the fretting can cause pretty much what you describe.

Does it do it all over the neck or just on certain frets/strings?

5. yeah, tecnique would be my guess, mabeye it is something you only do on your bass

6. I don't think it's the technique- it doesn't just happen when I'm playing something fast or complicated. It happens all the time. I'll play one note- say 3rd fret on the low E string- and when I let the note go with my left hand- no matter how fast or slow I release it, the string buzzes at a certain point as I release it. I've played other basses and not had this problem. There is no buzzing as long as the note is held down.

The problem seems to happen all over the fretboard.

It's driving me crazy.

Recording is almost impossible because the buzzing comes in louder than the sound of the bass notes.

aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

7. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

8. I'll try to put a sound clip up this weekend or before if possible. Can I do that on this thread, or do I have to post it somewhere else?

I'm pretty sure the buzz comes from the fret that I am playing the note on (no matter what fret it is). Let me give you a way to experience it the way I am:
    Play any note on your bass. Slowly release the note you're playing. As you slowly release it, you will obviously get to a point where the string will start to buzz because the pressure on it is no longer strong enough to keep it from vibrating under your finger. OK- now do the same thing but release the note faster- just as you naturally would to play an arpeggio for example. I'm assuming that you did not hear that buzzing from one note to the next as you released each note. I still get the buzzing. I just went to my friend's house yesterday and played his basses again. His don't do it anywhere near to the extent that mine does. Like I said earlier, it's so bad, that when I record with it, the buzzing makes it impossible because it comes in just as loud as the note that I play! Each note is clean---bzzz, clean---bzzz, etc. A buzz at the end of each one.

I hope all of what I wrote made sense.

Thanks so much.

I'll try to get a sound clip up soon.

9. get your friend to play your bass...

10. next time I go over to his house, I'll bring my bass with me so he can try it out.

11. I took the bass to my friend. He played it and said that part of it was my technique, but that those basses generally do have a tinny type of buzz. I mostly play easy pop music bass lines, so maybe this is the wrong bass for me in the first place (soundgear 405)? Should I go get it set up by a professional, or get a different bass?

12. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Check out Todd Johnson's section on YouTube. There's a short segment there on fretting techique, taken from his "Technique Builders" instructional DVD.

From your description, I'd guess you're not pressing the string close enough to the fret. If you press in the middle of the space between the frets, you're almost sure to get a buzz. Try to put your fingers almost on the fret, and see if that doesn't make a difference.

Rune

13. Thanks everybody.

I looked at those threads at the top a while back and I tightened the truss rod a few days ago. I'm going to keep tinkering with it until I get it right or give up and take it somewhere.

Like Joshua said, I figured a bass, no matter what kind, should be playable. I'm a guitar player who only occasionally plays bass. Is hand strength a big issue? Or should a properly set up bass be pretty easy to play?

Rune thanks for the youtube advice- i'll go check it out.

14. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    I have a similar problem on my K5, and I'm frankly worried. The sound comes from inside the neck, I fear my trussrod may be a tad ill. It's got a sympathetic resonance with the open D string.

I'm gonna have to get it looked after by a pro. It's got a dead spot I can't get rid of with trussrod adjustments and bridge settings around the 14-17th fret.

15. redhawk

redhawk

Oct 8, 2005
    I'm having a similar problem with my Ibanez SR500. I hit the open E and it does it...I feel your pain.

16. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Perhaps your action is set too low? I'm not sure, but it's possible.

Joe

17. Basshole

Basshole Inactive

Jan 28, 2005
    Check for:

Truss rod too tight
    Action too low
    Strings with loose outer windings

18. Thanks for the interest. Not to dismiss the problems you guys are having w/ your basses, but my problem doesn't seem to resemble any of yours. My open strings don't have any problems. I do believe my problem is that I was being a little to obsessive over the natural buzzing that happens when you play one note, release it, pause, and then go to another one. I'm gonna keep fiddling with it though. I wish you all good luck with yours and hope that they will be fixed soon! not too expensively!