Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Unas, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Unas

Unas

Jan 11, 2004
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I'm having a problem with one of my basses, and I can't figure out how the hell to fix it. One of my tuning pegs is buzzing against itself, and i dont know how to make it stop. Anybody ever had this problem before, but more importantly, know how to fix it? It's driving me insane.

2. Unas

Unas

Jan 11, 2004
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Well i dont know if this will help but its the tuning pegs used on the old squier precisions, not the huge butterfly ones. when you're looking at the tuning device, it lookes like a block that holds the peg onto the headstock, and the tuning peg itself. the tuning peg is loose compared to the other pegs, and it vibrates against the part that holds it to the headstock. i can grab the peg, and wiggle it around. wheres this screw you talk of? i think thats what i need to find, but i cant seem to find it..

3. Unas

Unas

Jan 11, 2004
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    This is what i got, sorry about the blurriness. There's no screw on the top of the peg, its just a smooth surface. And as for the hexnut, I'm clueless.[​IMG]

4. Unas, you are not going to beable to tighten those tuning pegs, they are not adjustable.

This is the hex nut that usually surrounds the tuning peg and keeps it tight or seated to the wood.
    [​IMG]

Depending on the value of your bass, you may consider purchasing or upgrading the pegs to maybe the Schaller pegs or something like them!

These are $60.00 at MF. Other companies also make them.
    [​IMG]

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...40/g=bass/g=bass/search/bigpid/base_id/42536/

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. Unas

Unas

Jan 11, 2004
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    damn... thats what i was afraid of. well its a squier, and i bought it for 242 so its not worth fixing. i think ill just cut a strip of duct tape and string it from the peg to the headstock in order to keep it from moving. we'll take the ghetto path this time. i am thinking about buying a better 4 string and defretting this one.. just because i want a fretless that is cheap, and wont make me cry if i dont like it.