Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buzz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Vorago, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Ok, here's the problem.

I play a MIM Jazz with Di Marzio jazzpickups in it, not sure what type, but the polepieces are black, with a screwwire-look on the outside and white covers.

I play with my thumb resting on the E string, which causes it to touch the "polepieces" in my pickup. Whenever I do that, I get a hum from my pickup, that increases if I turn the volume of my pickup. If I play bridgepup only with my thumb resting on the neckpup I don't have any noise, and vice versa. You get the deal.

Someone told me this is normal for all Jazz Basses, but I don't believe that.

My guess it's a grounding issue, any ideas and how to fix it?

2. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    It sounds like you have the same DiMarzio Model Js that I have. Are the pickup covers white or cream?

Anyway, more importantly, lots of j pups especially the DiMarzios have this issue. I don't think there's any certain way to fix it, but you can try shielding your cavity and doing some star grounding. Other than that I can't really help you.

I think the reason for this is that the pickups contain two different coils, one for the E and A strings, and one for the D and G. Somehow this causes extra buzzing when you touch the polepieces. I'm no electronics expert, so take this with a grain of salt.

-Alex

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Kinda creamy, thanks for the reply :)

4. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Nooooooo problema.
    -Alex