1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buzz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Vorago, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Ok, here's the problem.

I play a MIM Jazz with Di Marzio jazzpickups in it, not sure what type, but the polepieces are black, with a screwwire-look on the outside and white covers.

I play with my thumb resting on the E string, which causes it to touch the "polepieces" in my pickup. Whenever I do that, I get a hum from my pickup, that increases if I turn the volume of my pickup. If I play bridgepup only with my thumb resting on the neckpup I don't have any noise, and vice versa. You get the deal.

Someone told me this is normal for all Jazz Basses, but I don't believe that.

My guess it's a grounding issue, any ideas and how to fix it?

2. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    It sounds like you have the same DiMarzio Model Js that I have. Are the pickup covers white or cream?

Anyway, more importantly, lots of j pups especially the DiMarzios have this issue. I don't think there's any certain way to fix it, but you can try shielding your cavity and doing some star grounding. Other than that I can't really help you.

I think the reason for this is that the pickups contain two different coils, one for the E and A strings, and one for the D and G. Somehow this causes extra buzzing when you touch the polepieces. I'm no electronics expert, so take this with a grain of salt.

-Alex

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Kinda creamy, thanks for the reply :)

4. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Nooooooo problema.
    -Alex