Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by onebassplayer, Dec 4, 2001.

1. My DB recently developed 2 areas where the strings buzz on the freatboard. I think it may be due to slight warping - I can't see it, but the buzz is clearly at the same position for each string. I talked to the shop I purchased it from, and they suggested that I try to sand the fretboard, and that would get rid of whatever is causing the buzz. To be honest, that frightens me a bit. Would'nt even know what grade of sandpaper to get.

Any suggestions ? :confused:
  2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Put a long straightedge (metal ruler or stable bar) against the fingerboard; it may betray the high spot(s). Any grade of sandpaper can be used, 60-100 will remove wood quickly, 150-200 is less aggressive -- just use 400 grit or so for the final smoothing of the fingerboard. And take it slow.
  3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Bob All Hail is on the mark, per usual. And:

20 years ago my old maestro said about guitar FB, "The first 200 are the toughest." He was right. I've dressed hundreds of guitar FB, and I won't dress my own double-bass FB. The reason is that some curve is desirable, but too much is bad. How much? Where? Since I don't know, I pay those who do.

If you've decided to give it a try: If you're just working on a small high spot, 320 grit might be the paper to start with. Use a sanding block -- don't just use your thumb, or you'll dig a deeper hole. To polish the board, go to 600 grit, then use 0000 steel wool with lemon or mineral oil. This will really make the wood gleam for a good long while.

Again, echoing Bob AH: When removing wood, "Don't forget this fact, you can't get it back." Good luck!