Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buzzes on a defretted bass. Save me.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I did a great job of defretting my Hodad, gave it 8 coats of polyurathane, wrote about it in the defretting thread - and then popped some strings on it a couple of hours ago.

:eyebrow: .... :crying: .... :bawl:

It's buzzing bigtime at the 2nd and 3rd fret (uhh... ) on the A & D string, and nothing is stopping it. I'm NOT new to setting up a bsss, so telling me to raise the action or give it more relief will not be helpful. I went back and forth from super straight neck, to a pretty substantial bow (for my tastes) - and it's not going away. It presently has what I consider a fair amount of relief in it, the action is higher than I'd like it to be - and I'm not happy.

Is there any solution??? Can I do chiropractics on the bass? If I bend it there it gets better for about 20 seconds. Can I twist the neck and/or throw it in my oven or something? If I raise the nut will that do anything??? I don't imagine so. If I put nylon strings on it will it be better, or worse? HELP!?!! I love(ed) this bass! I want this thing to sing - with great action - what can I do???? I don't want to beleive it's hopeless.

If you haven't an answer please at least give me a bump till someone reads it that does. Thanks.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    sounds like you gota high spot on the board... get out the sand paper and level it

3. Tez

Tez

Jan 24, 2004
    Australia
    Set the neck straight then sand and buff it smooth , set the neck with slight relief under tention, then release the string tention an packing under the neck joint nearest the headstock with about 1 mm shim, retension the neck and set the harmonics at the bridge and the buzz should go it is my opinion that fretless basses should have a higher action to allow a better attack

4. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Tez, can you talk more slowly please or add some detail. I trust what your saying - but don't understand it. Or if anyone else wants to spell it out since I don't know all that much about this kind of stuff - shimming, sanding the neck CORRECTLY without making it even worse, etc.

also, if i simply sanded the neck only below where I'm getting the buzzing (like the 3rd and 4th fret) would this help???

5. Tez

Tez

Jan 24, 2004
    Australia
    Step1 Remove the Neck
    2) with a straight edge adjust the truss rod untill the neck is straight
    3) with a sanding block and 240 grit paper sand along the length of the neck following the natuaral contours.
    4) you will see the high spots on the neck as the first areas to be sanded
    5) sand till it is an even mat all over
    6) be sure not to alter the neck contour (unless you want to)
    7) Change to lighter grit paper 320 400 600 untill neck is smooth if you have a Buff polish the neck or use a fine grit car polish to finish of with
    8) refit and put strings on pull up to tension for a day or so
    9) set truss rod for slight neck relief ( have you lowered the string height at the nut bridge after de fretting ? it should be lowered as the frets are no longer there)
    10 Press the strigs one at a time onto the fingerboard at the 12 fret mark and the should be a slight hollow at the 5 fret mark 1 mm appox
    Get this far and I will continue the post ok
    Tez
    if you get Stuck my e mail is tuningfork@optushome.com.au

6. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Tez - thanks, my impatience got the best of me though. I sanded the third fret with a block and it got rid of the buzz. I'm going to tighten the neck up a bit now and see if I can get the action closer to my liking. I have a feeling I might not yet be through... now I have to go through another 8 coats of polyurathatne....

I appreciate you laying it out so I can understand. I'll be back with an update and if I need more help.

PS. this bass is an ultra pain in the butt to adjust cuz I have to remove the neck (like on the old fenders) everytime I need to make a truss rod adjustment. Oh well.... here I go.