1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buzzing 5th fret on G string, common problem?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Meddle, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Hey all. I've got a fret buzz issue specifically with the 5th fret of the G string on my bass. Its obtrusive with fingerstyle, as the buzz kicks in a split second after the note does. Its also present to a lesser degree on the 6th fret and up, though barely noticable. I've allready put a thicker gauge G string on, and this has lessened the problem to an extent but it is still there.

Is this a common problem and is it fixable? Should I get this bass set up professionally?

2. You might try simply raising the action of the G, at the bridge. Or maybe your neck is too flat(not enough relief). If so, loosening the truss rod a little may solve it.

3. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Might do. I put on thinner gauge strings than were supplied, so I guess the neck is probably straighter now?