Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buzzing A & D on my P

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I have an Essex P style bass that has either a nut, or set up issue. The bass played okay out of the box except the open A and D both buzzed. From what I can tell, the strings buzz against the first and maybe the second frets. There was hardly any clearance in the first few frets and bridge adjustments made no difference. I have not had a pro set up done on the bass. I put a small piece of paper behind both the A and D strings and now it actually plays quite nicely. Would a good set up / truss rod adjustment help with this or does it sound like the problem is with the nut?

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I'm not sure if it has proper relief or not - I really don't know enough about how to check / adjust neck relief.

I placed a small piece of folded paper in the nut slots, between the strings and the nut to sort of shim the string up higher in the slot.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I just took another look at the bass and when I hold the E string down at the last fret, the distance from the string to any given fret is pretty much even across the length of the neck...so, I _think_ the neck relief is okay.(?)

Would a neck relief issue cause a problem with only the 2nd and 3rd strings (1st and 4th are fine)

I suspect it is a nut slot problem, (especially sinse raising the strings in the slots has helped) but I'm not sure and I don't want to be barking up the wrong tree with my fix.