Buzzing above 7th fret after tweaking

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by AwesomeWithAQ, Dec 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. AwesomeWithAQ

AwesomeWithAQ

Nov 25, 2012
    I changed my strings and adjusted my setup a bit on my Fender Modern Player Jazz. I'm now getting buzzing from the 7th fret up on my E and A strings. I'm not a stranger to set ups, but I am quite out of practice.

The strings are about 7/64" off the 17th fret. The Fender site recommends 6/64" so I don't understand what could be wrong.

I didn't measure before I started tweaking, but I don't think they were much higher before and I had no buzz issues.

I did adjust the truss rod to give it a tad more bow, then it was buzzing above the 12th fret, so I went back a bit and here we are.

Can anyone help me get this thing right?

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Have you actually checked the relief? That is, seeing how much there is? In playing position, fret the first first (or put a capo) and fret around the 17th fret or so where the neck joins with the body. Then press around the 9th fret or so and see how much the string moves. It should only move about the thickness of a credit card. It could be that the neck is now too straight and you have back bow.

How much did you turn the truss rod each time in either direction?

3. AwesomeWithAQ

AwesomeWithAQ

Nov 25, 2012
    Yes. I have a feeler gauge and used the .012 feeler as mentioned in Fender's set up guide. I was thinking I might've made it too straight and that's why I turned it back. I did a bit less than a quarter turn and then tried to get it back to where it was.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Use your ears and hands to determine good setup, not your eyes looking at a ruler.
    Adjust the instrument until it sounds and feels how you want it to sound and feel.
    If you must measure, do it last so you can use it as a reference later.

5. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    You won't fix a fret buzz above the 7th fret with the truss rod. Put it back to .012" relief when fretting at the first and 17th fret and measuring at the 6th. Then adjust the saddles up a little. When the fret buzz goes away, check the string height at the 12th fret and get back to us.

6. AwesomeWithAQ

AwesomeWithAQ

Nov 25, 2012
    I've got it back. If I raise the saddles more then they'll be way above where they used to be. I don't really want my action that high.

Edit: The strings are about 8/64" at the 12th fret and I'd like my action to be lower.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  7. AwesomeWithAQ

AwesomeWithAQ

Nov 25, 2012
    Thanks to all who replied. I took it to a local tech and we figured out it was my strings. He said he's seen more problems with DR than anything else.

8. Did he explain what was wrong with the strings?

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021