Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buzzing, again...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fleabass89, May 13, 2001.

1. I'm trying to get rid of the fret buzzing on my bass. Its in the higher frets (12+) and buzzes so much I can hardly hear the note. I can't get the action low without i buzzing. I loosened the truss rod, but that stil doesnt get rid of it and then it also buzzes in the lower frets if I do that. The action is OK at the first 5 frets or so, but at the 12th fret it's too high. Help!

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Um, shouldn't you have TIGHTENED your truss rod? :confused:

3. Generally you know your truss rod is too tight when you experience more buzzing on frets 1 through 4 than you do on frets 12 through 16. If you've got more buzzing beyond fret 12, start over.
    It sounds like your overall action is too low.
    I suggest you raise the action and sight down the neck from the headstock. Look for a very slight bow to the bottom. Then lower your action to comfort and check the buzzing example I provided.
    Fender has one of many sights to assist with set-up. Also check the Bass Player magazine archives.
    If it all gets too frustrating, see a professional, but don't over-tighten the rod. A 1/4 inch turn is plenty, then check the next morning.

4. I'm sorry, I DID tighten it, Oysterman. For some reason my brain functions when it wants to..