1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buzzing, again...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fleabass89, May 13, 2001.

1. I'm trying to get rid of the fret buzzing on my bass. Its in the higher frets (12+) and buzzes so much I can hardly hear the note. I can't get the action low without i buzzing. I loosened the truss rod, but that stil doesnt get rid of it and then it also buzzes in the lower frets if I do that. The action is OK at the first 5 frets or so, but at the 12th fret it's too high. Help!

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Um, shouldn't you have TIGHTENED your truss rod? :confused:

3. Generally you know your truss rod is too tight when you experience more buzzing on frets 1 through 4 than you do on frets 12 through 16. If you've got more buzzing beyond fret 12, start over.
    It sounds like your overall action is too low.
    I suggest you raise the action and sight down the neck from the headstock. Look for a very slight bow to the bottom. Then lower your action to comfort and check the buzzing example I provided.
    Fender has one of many sights to assist with set-up. Also check the Bass Player magazine archives.
    If it all gets too frustrating, see a professional, but don't over-tighten the rod. A 1/4 inch turn is plenty, then check the next morning.

4. I'm sorry, I DID tighten it, Oysterman. For some reason my brain functions when it wants to..