Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buzzing and "Shielding"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ras, May 15, 2005.

1. ras

ras

Apr 21, 2005
    Okay..this is probably in the wrong forum but heck. I just got some new cables for my GSR-200, and there is this annoying buzzing sound everytime i pick a note.. it just goes on as the note plays, so if i mute the string, it disappears. There is a very small constant buzzing though.

I was just wondering, could someone explain the possibilities of what could be causing this?

On another note, can anyone tell me what "shielding" is and how it may help?

Help's appreciated. thanks

2. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    It's the P/J pickup configuration. The coils inharently hum. You can shield, and probably ground the bridge to reduce it(if it isn't already), but to get rid of it completely you'd need to buy humcancelling pickups.

3. There are 2 different types of interference: Electromagnetic and electrostatic. some people describe them as hum and buzz respectively. Electromagnetic is picked up and amplified by the pickup and can only be eliminated by using humbucking pickups. Electrostatic can be minimized (seldom completely eliminated) by well shielding of the pickup cover, control cavity cover, using shielded cables from the former to the latter and proper grounding techniques (some people love star grounding).

4. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    I have the same issue with my GSR-200 when you have the tone pot on full though. If it goes away when you touch the string it would appear to be a grounding issue.

The cavity on a GSR isn't shielded, so if you got a free hour or two it may be worth shielding it all with tin foil or other such which i can't remember at the minute.

The other type of buzzing, humming you can get is off CRT screens. So if you're sitting in front of a PC monitor/ TV and you get a humming noise its more likely the radiation from the monitor.

5. ras

ras

Apr 21, 2005
    Well fellaz...update on this. I got the guitar checked out at the store, and it worked fine on their amp. The cables are brand new, so im guessing its something to do with the amp. Appreciate the help so far. :) THanx. What boggles me is that the amp is connected directly into the socket, no extension cords or whatever..so im not so sure why its not grounding properly.

I am not near any tv's or radios or even a computer, btw. :)

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Bad power?

I live in a place that's got no grounding whatsoever...even the 3 prong outlets are really only 2 prong. I generally avoid using my amp at home...It's possible that the outlet you're using hasn't been wired correctly. Try a different one.

7. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    I know through other threads that people say power conditioners are a gimmik and are nothing more than a glamourized power strip.

I must disagree with this after purchasing a cheap furman RP-8. I had this hum/buzz and it's now gone thanks to this power conditioner. I first tried moving the Amp to another socket in the room, but nothing improved. I tried using a "monster power" power center strip I have to no avail. So I figured the heck with it I'll try the furman, if it does nothing I'll return it for a refund. Well immediately it worked, no buzz or hum, it's gone.

At least give it a try to see if it helps you like it helped me. :)

Doh I just re-read your post and I must edit..........

My buzz was just the opposite to yours in property, in other words: My stuff would buzz when I was not playing and my fingers were off the strings. I would still try what I did as an experiment.

8. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    Powerline filtering can definitely reduce buzz. The effectiveness depends both on how good (or bad) your amp is in this regard, as well as how noisy you AC line is. I always use a line filter with my DB359. I usually don’t need it at home, but it’s a must in some of the clubs I play.

- John

9. ras

ras

Apr 21, 2005
    Well what sucks is that this problem hasnt been happening... started only a few weeks ago. Damn amp. Kustom ten watt bass amp, and NOW my friends are telling me Kustom's a...not so good brand :p.

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Does the buzz appear only when you play a note, or when you are not touching the strings?

11. ras

ras

Apr 21, 2005
    When im not doing anything, there is some definate humming. When i play a note, there is a slight buzzing. The buzzing actually goes on with the note, as in, when the note stops, it stops, when the note goes higher/louder, the buzzing gets louder.

SOmething i just realised though, first 5 minutes of playing might only have slight buzzing, but soon enough the buzzing completely replaces the sounds that i SHOULD be hearing.

12. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    Sounds like a bad filter cap or filter cap solder joint. I’m more inclined to suspect a solder joint when the problem is intermittent.

- John

13. ras

ras

Apr 21, 2005
    solder joint you say? aaaah... gonna take it to the shop soon. And i appreciate y'all help ;). Thanks to all :)

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Does your amp have a compressor, limiter, or other type of dynamics processor?

15. ras

ras

Apr 21, 2005
    Its a Kustom 10watt bass amp... you tell me :p

16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    I take that as a no. ;)

I'm thinking bad or inadequate reservoir capacitor(s) in the power supply, or as John mentioned, a bad solder joint in that area.

I had a similar experience with a Pignose gutar amp powered by a 9VDC adapter that had not enough capacitance to get rid of the AC ripple adequately. The louder the guitar signal got, the more current the Pignose demanded from the wall wart, and there was more ripple, and the hum got louder.

17. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    10W Kustom
    power supply problems
    time to upgrade

18. ras

ras

Apr 21, 2005
    Power supply problems you say? Do elaborate more for me and the other readers.. :)

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Does there happen to be a fluorescent light in the room?

20. ras

ras

Apr 21, 2005
    As a matter of fact yea... but even if thats a problem, why now? why not the four months before? and why does it happen gradually, with a slight buzzing till im actually playing a full-buzzing-song-type-thing?