Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buzzing around the neck...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by funktastic, Oct 25, 2005.

1. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    Whenever i play my G and D strings lately, right as i hit the note i get the sound of the note but also a short little buzz sound near the headstock. I dont know what this could be, i guess it could be the strings being too low, but i have never had that problem before and have not done anything to the strings. I went on a search for it but i couldnt really find anything on it so i'm sorry if i'm stupid and missed a thread that said something about it. Thanks for the help :help:

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Maybe due to colder temps in your area, the neck adjusted by itself?

:)

3. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    The areas i get the most buzzing is around the D,C, and E octaves on the G string and mostly anywhere on the D string. It could be the temperature since its been getting colder lately with all the cold fronts flying through, but i hope its just screws or something.

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Try striking the harmonic and let the note sustain. As it sustains, if this creates the buzz, quickly reach up and start touching all the parts on the headstock. When you touch the culprit the buzz will stop.

If sustaining the note doesn't work, have someone else play the buzzing points. Do the same touching thing as above.

5. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    thats a great idea, and i just tried the harmonic thing, and it worked. What do i do now that i found the culprit to the buzzing?

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    What was buzzing?

7. Rene

Rene

Mar 8, 2004
    Canada
    Your strings are too loose or too tight in the slot cavity of your nut. Maybe the strings flap against the edge of the nut cavity

8. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I hate to ask this, but are your strings run under their string tree? If not, that will most certainly cause buzz.