buzzing at both ends of the fretboard on different strings??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MacheteJames, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Here's the deal... I've got a Cort Curbow 6, with dual truss rods. I'm trying to get the action lower. The neck had a little bit of bow in it, so after tightening the truss rods a little, I started to get some weird problems. On the G string, I'm getting fretbuzz in the first position. On the D string, I'm getting fretbuzz on on just one fret, the 3rd to last one, which would make it the 22nd fret I think. The note just totally chokes.. one fret behind it or in front of it, everything is fine. The C, B, E, and A strings are ok, no problems with them. What could be causing this? I checked out Gary Willis' site and there was nothing of use for this problem there.
  2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Your D string problem is either caused by a low fret (the one you finger when getting the buzz) or the fret above that one is too high.

Permanent fix is a partial fret redress. Quick fix is to raise the saddle height on the D string until the buzz goes away.

On the G string, it sounds like your nut slot is too low or your neck is too straight or some combination of both.
  3. There are three things that you might memorize for reference in the future.

1- If the string(s) buzz on the first 4 or 5 frets, a relief problem is indicated and a truss rod adjustment is in order.

2- If the strings buzz on the last few frets a bridge height adjustment is in order.

3- An open string buzz usually indicates a bad nut if the buzz clears up when you note the first fret.

4. Thanx Treena and Lyle... I've done plenty of setups before, and it's just that this issue I'm having now is something I haven't faced before. Usually, when I get fretbuzz due to too much or too little relief, the fretbuzz is on all of the strings, not just those on one side of the neck. Having two trussrods complicates things, I guess. I'll just have to make sure I adjust each one equally.
  5. From what you described:
    1. Different probs on different strings
    2. Two truss rods to adjust

I'd say that you are right in checking the adjustment of both rods.

Check for twist and don't make your board too straight. A very slight relief is necessary. And if your frets aren't perfect, then a little more is required.

You'll get it. Don't give up. and remember, small incremental changes is the key.

When you do get this sorted, please post a follow-up. I'd be interested in knowing what you found.
  6. PilbaraBass, I agree with you regarding the equal adjustment with both trust rods. I have had these issues when doing setups on my 61 4000 rickenbacker, they are challenging but doable!

Yes, please do post a follow-up MacheteJames. I would be interested in knowing what the real problem was!

7. Hey everyone... I managed to fix everything except the buzzing toward the end of the neck on the D string. There's nothing that will fix that that won't involve a trip to a luthier. I'm pretty satisfied with it the way it is now, I was able to get the action really low. The two truss rods definitely complicates things, but I was just careful to give each rod equal adjustment, and to not adjust one without adjusting the other.