Buzzing at high volumes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crazyphil, Sep 23, 2002.

1. When I turn up the volume on my MIM Fender P, it get a buzzing sound. This sound goes away when I touch the bridge, knobs, or strings.

In an effort to get rid of it, I have replaced the volume and tone pots, as well as the factory wiring. The difference in sound and clarity is noticeable, but the buzzing is still there.

I've called the local shop and the guy said it's normal and present in all electric instruments. Somehow I don't believe him.

It sounds like a grounding problem. Anyone have any advice? All wiring has been triple-checked.
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - almost right - it's normal on passive Fenders!!

You have to put up with the hum to get that vintage sound!
  3. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    fender noiseless pickups, indeed....
  4. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    hooray for 60 cycle hum!

The buzzing is pretty normal in most single coil pickups. The best way to reduce it is to crank both the pickups all the way up and make up for it by eqing through the amp. No way to get rid of it though...
  5. Could this be solved by installing the Vintage '62 pickups?
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL

There are humbucking pickups that are shaped like the stock pickups you currently have. Those will do a better job of getting rid of the hum, but you won't have quite the same tone that you currently have.
  7. ok guys he said P bass.... not J bass.
  8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Perhaps some shielding would help...
  9. Can you elaborate on the shielding? What should I use?
  10. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Copper tape or copper paint. Available through parts suppliers such as Stewart MacDonalds. Visit for info...

Good luck!:D