Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buzzing at the 11th fret?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ozmond, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Ozmond

Ozmond

Oct 17, 2003
    hi....

im having a bit of trouble.... any help whatsoever would be appreciated....

whenever i pop the 11th fret of my 'g' string.... i get fret buz.... this doesn't happen if i finger pick normally... and it only happens at the 11th fret.....

is it my string... or my neck... or my technique?.......

please help

regards

Ali

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    it sounds like the 12 fret is a little high...do you hear it through the amp? if not its all cool

steve

3. ...or the 11th fret is low, that's how it is with my sx...gotta fix that sometime

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    this would be more appropriate in setup, so i'll move it there. :) good luck

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    save up and take in to the shop

6. poppamies

poppamies

Dec 15, 2002
    Even so. The problem is that the 12:th fret is too high compared to the 11:th. If the problem is bad the frets on the upper neck should be leveled. If the problem ain't that bad flattening the neck by tightening the tussrod a little and then rising the strings some should do the job. But if you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

7. yeah,well, for me it just happens that that 11th fret is lower than all the other frets. It's not a big deal, but it'd be nice to be able to just raise that one fret instead of lowering all the other ones. I'm thinking i'd probably just put a new higher fret in that slot and file it down to match, but eh, i'm a busy guy. The action and neck relief have been set to just about the optimum configuration. If i raised the action the thing would be just too annoying to play and i would never pick it up. That makes ALL the frets useless, right?:meh:

8. I feel for ya clef, you've got the right idea.

This buzzing didn't just begin now did it?

9. Ozmond

Ozmond

Oct 17, 2003
    well... im not sure... it only starts when i pop... and i'vce discovered if i pop with just the rigth amount of force it's fine... but i seem to need mroe care with this fret than with any other.....

oh... and it only buzzes after i pop and hold the note....

regards

ali\

thanks for the help guys