Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buzzing at the nut?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by toddtodd, Apr 5, 2005.

1. my open A buzzes like mad
    what should i do?

thanks

-todd

2. my open A buzzes like mad
    what should i do?

thanks

-todd

3. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Hmm... Raise the action or loosen the trussrod? I wouldn't know because I rarely frequent the Setup forum. That's prob'ly where you should post this thread :hyper:

4. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Could need a new nut if the slot for the A is cut too wide.

5. it didnt always buzz?
    maybe that makes a diffreence?

6. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Hmmm...not quite sure....thinking...

I sent you a PM, by the way.

7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    If you put delicate pressure on the string above the nut between the nut and the tuner while playing the open A does the "buzz" go away at all??

8. yes sir, i was just about to post about that...

9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    What I would do is wind the end of the string so the last loop is all the way at the bottom of the tuner, low, as close to the headstock as possible. If this doesn't do it then a string tree device may be prudent, but BE CAREFULL, dont just start screwing into the headstock!!

10. thanks that kinda helped
    i think i cut the string too short last time i strung it up.
    it does not even go round the post 2 full times
    im retarded.

-todd

11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    No you're not, I've made that same mistake more than once over the years. Some basses really need to have some length at the end of the string so you can wind top to bottom on the tuner. Always start high and end up low..

12. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    "buzzing at the nut"

Ooooo yeah.

13. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    My bass did that when I went from and 85 to an 80. I have changed strings since then and got an 85 back on there with no problems.

14. ted13

ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    Hey i would imagine your problem is that when you restrung your bass you would the string upwards around the post. this creates no string bend at the nut and can cause the string to not have enough downward pressure to seat firmly in the nut slot. if this is the case just restring your a string with the string wrapping downwards from the string bend. good luck. Ted