1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

buzzing bass - short or ground issue?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stuntie, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Stuntie

Stuntie

Sep 4, 2008
    Hiya.

Just bought a Zombie NT bass.
    Looks awsome and feels great.
    Sounds great too.
    All ready to go eat some brainsss...

However...

I am getting a buzz/hum on the bass.
    It gets louder if I turn up the Bass knob.
    I I lightly touch the strings I get a crackle like static.
    If I press on the strings the volume of the buzz diminishes noticeably, but is still there.

Problem is not there on my other bass (Ibanez SR300 with P and J pickups) so I suspect it is the bass, not the amp and cable.
    Buzzed a swell with a differnt amp.

I suspect a short or ground or shielding issue on one of the pots - probably the Bass pot.
    Any one have any idea if this is right? Or could it be another issue?
    Any way to check if it is a short?
    Any other suggestions?

Hopefully it's just a check the solder joints job so I can get my Zombie cackling not crackling.

Cheers
    Stuntie.

2. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Before you do anything, since you just bought the bass, I would call the folks you bought it from and see if they'll fix up the problem for you. Faling that....

Like you mentioned, check all of the solder connections first (especially the ground). Look for loose mechanical connections, bare wires that may be touching each other, "cold" solders (they'll look dull and grey, not shiny and silver). If you don't find the problem there check:

1) That your pickup cavities and electronics cavity are shielded. If they aren't, you might want to buy some copper shielding tape and shield them yourself.

2) That all of the grounds run to one volume pot, then to a grounding point.

3) That your pickups are internally shielded (call B.C. Rich to find out). If they aren't, consider touching their magnets to some of the shielding tape at the bottom of the pickup cavities. Then, run a ground wire from the copper to a grounding point.

Cheers

3. Stuntie

Stuntie

Sep 4, 2008
    Thanks XylemBassGuitar for the advice.

A little checking with multimeter and probes revealed that I can get the same decrease in buzz if I ground the front pick up screws, but not with the back ones.
    So I suspect the grounding on the front pickups, so will chase that up as a possibility.

Off back to the shop tomorrow so will see what they say.

Cheers
    Stuntie.

4. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Let me know how it turns out, I'd be interested to know what the problem was.