Buzzing behind nut on E

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gastambide, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Gastambide

Mar 4, 2005
    I recently switched over to DR Hi-Beams (from GHS Boomers) on my Spector Euro 4, and ever since have been getting a strange buzzing sound from the head end of the neck on the low E only, especially when played open. Putting the slightest pressure on the string behind the nut (using my finger as a "string tree") seems to alleviate the problem. I have wound the string as usual, with as much downward angle on the last go-round as practical. I never had this happen with the Nickel Boomers, and am a bit puzzled. The tuner (a Hipshot Extender) seems to be in working order (well, actually it won't return to pitch properly at the moment), and not the source of the buzz. Now this is not a terribly bad buzz, but just mildly annoying enough to want it to go away. Any suggestions?
  2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    By the sound of it, the Low E isn't fitting into the nut properly. Did you switch guages?

That's what I think. I had a similar problem, but not anymore, since i got a new bone nut.
  3. Listen to make sure it isn't the truss rod shaking around. I had a problem with that because my truss was too loose in the neck and caused a horrible noise that sounded like a buzzing. Pluck the string and listen near the E-string side of the neck. If it's loose, tighten it up just a hair to stop it.
  4. Gastambide

Mar 4, 2005
    Actually, I did switch from a .95 to a 100 on the low E. Perhaps the slot needs to be opened up a bit?
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA

Thats a problem but its easily corrected when you know how to do it right.
  6. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
  7. Gastambide

Mar 4, 2005
    No, the wrapping around the post is not the problem. I always make sure I have plenty of extra for that purpose. I am beginning to suspect the nut slot may need filing, since I am also having a tough time getting my Hipshot Extender to work properly. The more I think about it, the more I believe the string is not seating properly and is even hanging up when engaging the extender. Any filing tips?