Buzzing Behind the Fret

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PaulMacCnj, Dec 10, 2005.

1. I'm having an interesting problem with my Fender GB-41 SCE acoustic/electric bass. I changed the strings to a set of Dean Markleys. If the neck it set straight or with a slight bow, the E string buzzes at the Bb and B frets. The string is resonating behind the fret. This behavior moves with respect to the amount of bow in the neck. In order to eliminate all buzz, a pretty big bow in the neck is needed and the action is high. Help! How can I fix this?

Paul Mac
  2. I had this problem on my E and D strings on my jazz. A good setup with the nut slots being refilled and filed made this go right away.
  3. Could is possibly be the other end and the bridge is too high? That's the one thing that sucks about many acoustic guitars, it's a do or die proposition when adjusting the bridge. I wish the height on this bass could be adjusted without the use of sandpaper.

Paul Mac
  4. At a certain truss rod setting, the problem is at the B fret on the E string. The buzz is coming from the section of string between the nut and the fret. Let's say I press down the string at the B using my ring finger. Then I use my index finger to dampen the string between the nut and the fret. No more buzz.

Paul Mac
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree that it sounds like the nut slots have been filed too low for your set up.
  6. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    As a test put one or two thicknesses of paper in the nut slot between the nut and the string. If the problem goes away, the nut slots are too deep. You can partially fill and refile the slots, shim the nut, or replace the nut. The best solution is replacement, but either of the other two options are OK alternatives.
  7. The bass came with the factory Fender long scale, medium strings. The gauges were .045, .055, .075, .095. Since Fender decided not to make these strings anymore, I had to switch to something else; Dean Markley with gauges .045, .055, .078, .098. I didn't make any mods to the nut or bridge, only the truss rod (because it was buzzing).

Okay, I'll try placing a spacer between the E string and the nut groove. I'll report my findings. Thanks!

Paul Mac
  8. You guys are good... real good. :) I put a small piece of a toothpick between the nut and the string; No more buzz! It looks like there is considerable wear marks on the nut from tuning the string(s). I wonder if Fender cheapened out on the nut and that's why it wore so quickly. Eventually, I'll change it. Until then, the bass is playing great again! Thank you everyone for your help. :cool:

Merry Christmas!

Paul Mac