Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buzzing Bow

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Williams, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Ok I just bought a new bow about... month or two ago. German Marco Raposo. It works great except when you get to the upper third or so of the bow it starts to make a buzzing sound. To me it sounds like the bow hair is buzzing, but i didn't know if that was possiable. Any one got any ideas? :eyebrow:

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Look closly at the hair/Stick ratio when you hear the noise and see if the Hair is actually touching the Bow. If so, you will start to break hairs in the middle. At that point, you are either pressing to hard to get the sound or the hair is not tightened enough. With many less than good-great Bows, peolpe press to get sound from the upper half of the bow. This is either a weak toned bow at the tip, poor bow technique or both. If you have a teacher, share this with him to get it fixed one way or the other.

3. Not to change the thread but.... How do you like the Raposo bow. I'm hopefully getting one shipped to me for a trial within the next few days. Worth the money?

4. I love it. It works a lot better then the bow i had previously, and has a very good weighted. It works great, except for the buzzing noise I'm getting.

5. Also the Hair is not tuching the sitck Sorry i didn't mention that sooner. Could it be a problem with too much rosin or something along that line?

6. In my experience, when I start getting a buzzy sound, it is usually a build up of rosin on the string. I use metal strings. With my playing it usually shows up more on the G&D string and also on the hair more toward the tip. I think that's because the bow is quieter there and the buzzing becomes relatively more noticeable.

Also check the tip of the bow. I had a major buzz going once due to a loosened tip bone. If you have inadvertently banged the tip on something, the bone or liner may have loosened from the stick and this might not be readily detectable because the hair clamps it to the stick tightly but not tight enough to stop the buzz.