Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buzzing - but wan't low action

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by semborg, Feb 20, 2006.

1. What can I do if I find my bass Buzzing but I don't want to higher the strings anymore. Actually I want them to be lowered.

The neck is 97% straight

Anything to do?

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Where is the buzzing?

Also, since your neck is almost 100% straight, that might be your problem. You might not have enough relief.

3. Read the Sticky at the top of this forum.

4. Buzzing mostly at frets 1-7.
    Using Elixir strings 45-105. To heavy gauge?

5. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Definitely check out the sticky at the top of the forum, I have found the Gary Willis site to be the best at explaining these things, but read up on both and decide for yourself. If you're buzzing on frets 1-7 you probably need to add refief.

Shawn

6. Can a fretted bass be totally out of buzzing when having low action?

I think my fingerstyle playing is quite hard. But I press down my left hand right where the fret are since I play alot of fretless.

7. Yeah, I know about adjusting the trussroad and have done it on many basses, so I am not a newbie in this. Still I find it hard to get the perfect setup on FRETTED instruments. I have read here that people have more problem with fretless basses but I find that alot more easier to setup.

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well on MY bass, my neck needs about zero relief in order to get the lowest action. I usually straighten my neck all the way, lower the strings till they buzz, then raise them slightly till they stop. You might consider getting a bass with smaller frets, banjo or mandolin frets, or refretting your current bass with them. Ive found the perceived action to feel lower, even though height from the top of the frets is no lower than most other basses. With shorter frets, the strings may be the same height off the top of the fret, but are actually closer to the board. Might be a good compromise if you prefer the low action of a fretless.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Buzz on frets 1-7 means you need more relief, ie: a less straight neck. Loosen truss rod.

10. If you press your finger down right on top of the fret rather than behind it, that's a big part of your problem.

11. The fact is that it buzzes overall the fretboard.
    But a little more at 1-7, but still overall.

Thought you cant really hear it when its plugged in.

12. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    IMO you need more relief. Try loosening the truss rod until you can fit a credit card between the E string and 5th fret when holding the string down at the 12th fret. This should allow you to lower the saddles with no buzz.
    I'll first set the relief and then adjust the saddles for the lowest action without buzz.
    If I'm wrong, you won't have wasted much time and you can always reverse it, but this process has always worked for me.:)

13. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    if you like a really straight neck and low action, you'll need use a lighter touch to prevent buzz... you can play nearer the bridge, and turn your amp up...