Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buzzing Fender Noiseless Jazz pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kmcanney, Apr 15, 2005.

1. kmcanney

kmcanney

Mar 11, 2005
    I just installed a set of noiseless p'ups in my Jazz, and I'm getting a buzz that goes away as soon as I touch the control plate.

The bass is star grounded, and just for giggles, I tried running a ground from the control plate to my star ground ring terminal--it didn't help.

Anyone have any ideas? I thought about using fiber washers to isolate the pots and jack from the control plate, but I'm shooting in the dark.

FWIW, these are 250k pots from the Stew-Mac J Bass wiring kit. Should I be using 1 meg ohm pots w/ my Noiseless p'ups?

Thanks!

2. I am running stock pots with the Vintage Noiseless and have absolutely no problems with noise. Did you wire the bridge pickup to the gound lug in the bottom of the bridge cavity and not by running it straight to the pot?

3. kmcanney

kmcanney

Mar 11, 2005
    I don't have a ground lug in the bridge p'up cavity. This is a project that I assembled with a Mighty Mite body.

All ground wires (the pickup grounds and the wires that I used to ground the pots) are run to a common ring terminal that's connected to the output jack's sleeve. No wires are soldered to the pot bodies.

I wonder if I maybe swapped tip and ring. Might that cause a buzz that goes away when I touch the control plate?

Thanks!

4. It is worth a try

5. kmcanney

kmcanney

Mar 11, 2005
    Okay, tip and sleeve (sorry--I typed ring before) are not reversed, but after looking at Lyle Caldwell's Jazz Shielding Pictorial in the FAQ, I wonder if I've found my error.

I ran the pickup grounds to the output jack's negative terminal, so they're going to the sleeve. I thought all grounds needed to be connected to a common ground.

In Lyle's pictorial, though, the pickup grounds run to his cavity shielding, which is connected to the control plate via a copper strip. My control cavity isn't shielded, but I could add a separate ground lug that is grounded to the control plate.

Would that make any sense, or would I just be creating a ground loop?

Sorry for all the newbie questions; I'm much more comfortable with woodworking tools than a soldering iron! :(