1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buzzing from inside my bass neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fdeck, Mar 20, 2013.

1. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Tonight I was noodling around on my old bass, a Fender Mustang that I got in 1977 and de-fretted sometime around 1981. It sounded like there was a buzzing coming from inside the neck around the 6th or 7th fret, most pronounced when I played certain notes. I rapped on the neck with my thumb, and can hear a buzzing when I do that too.

Could something have worked loose inside the neck? I recently tightened the truss rod slightly, and didn't notice anything wrong at that time. I don't play out on this bass -- mainly I keep it for sentimental value. But I'd still like to keep it in decent playing condition.

2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    It is probably the truss rod. While not considered normal, it isn't that unusual. It is nothing to worry about.

3. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    If it is the truss rod, and there's a real good chance it is, I'd loosen it 1/2 turn, slap (for want of a better word) the back the neck with your palm several times, and then tighten it back the same amount. It might shift it enough to stop the rattle. No harm in trying this.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

I eliminated just such a rattle/buzz twice doing this.
    One time it was my '69 Jazz, and the second time it was the drummer. Bah-doomp! :D :D :D

5. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Thanks for the tips. I'll try the advice next chance I get!

6. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    The truss rod in my G&L L2500 rattles a bit. Good advice already given, work the adjusting nut back and forth (a little) and find the sweet spot where the rattle goes away.

7. famousbirds

famousbirds

Aug 3, 2009
    Honolulu
    HEY-O hahaha

8. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Update: Fixed!

I loosened the truss rod nut as suggested, tightened it back up, and the buzz is gone. TB comes through again.