buzzing from pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fatjbass, Jun 7, 2004.

1. fatjbass

May 29, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    So I play a Yamaha RBX 170 J/P bass. I knew that when I turn up my Jazz pickup, i get a bad buzz. But just recently I noticed that when I turn up the Tone on my bass, I get a buzz too. Is that from my pickups? My wiring? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    did this always happen, or did you just start noticing it?

If it just started happening, it's possible a ground wire came loose in the cavity.

Or, it could be standard single coil hum? Do you have hum with both pups on full?
  3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Single coil pickups buzz, and make noise. Also, since that is a lower line model, the pickups probably aren't the best anyway.
    You can get a DiMarzio P/J set from for a good price. The J pickup is hum-cancelling, which will mean no more buzz.
    Wire those up to some decent control pots, and you'd have a much better sounding bass, for not a whole lot of money.

Just my 2 cents. Hope that helps :hyper:
  4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    For What It's Worth:

You might check out the reviews for your bass at harmony central. Sometimes the guys will list an email address you can respond to so if the hum issue isn't addressed in the reviews, you might be able to email somebody. Could be the nature of the pups or inherent in design, but PJ's normally don't have much issue in the way of hum. But as a rule, the J's are to thin to use alone so there's always some P mixed in. Regardless, a single coil run solo with the treble maxed is the best scenario I know of to generate hum.

If you're not nuts about the sound of the pups otherwise, a replacement set's not a bad thought. Putting decent pups in a low line bass can make a major difference. So if you've got a bass with a good neck and you like the feel of, it's worth the investment. You can drop the old pups back in if it comes time to sell and keep the replacements or sell them seperately.
  5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I think that bass would be worth a pickup upgrade. I've played some of the older RBX 260's, and I liked them-nice and light, played well, built well, good balance.

It's up to you, based on how you feel about this bass. IMHO, a DiMarzio P/J set would go great in this bass, and you'd lose the buzzing you're getting out of the stock pickup.