Buzzing - Graphite Neck w/ no Truss Rod?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by berklee46, Aug 6, 2001.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    I just got Status Graphite 2000 bass today. The bass had been completely redone a couple months ago (new fingerboard, frets, etc.)

The only issue I have with it is a constant fret buzz between the 1st and 4th(ish) frets. Granted the action is low, but there is *no* buzz at all in the upper register.
    I have raised the action and still have the notes being choked out on the low end of the bass. The Bb on the A string is almost non-existant. I've tried to let it sit for a few hours since maybe it moved a little during shipping, but it's actually gotten a little worse, rather than better.

If it was a wooden neck, I'd chalk it up to the hot weather, and I know that graphite isn't *totally* immune to weather changes, but...
    If the bass had a truss rod, I'd simply loosen it a bit and the problem would be solved, but since this has none, I'm stuck for a solution.
    It is a headless bass and there appears to be no nut, just a 1st fret...

Other than this problem, this bass is perfect - looks, feel, sound, etc.

This is my first bass with no truss rod, so I'd be grateful for any suggestions
  2. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    I have some Steinbergers, with no truss rod and a zero fret.

The ideal solution is to have a fret dress/setup in which the high frets would be reduced.

As a temporary solution, you might try putting a few layers of aluminum foil or something similar under the strings at the zero fret to lift the strings a bit (I've never tried this but it seems logical).

Your neck may shift a bit as it settles in, and a different guage of strings might be a partial answer down the road. Likewise, the strings may deaden a bit at those frets as they wear in.

If its' fresh from the shop, maybe it should go back.
  3. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    I spoke with Rob at Status and discussed my issue. The previous owner had the work done so the bass would be set up to his *exact* specs. He wanted the neck completely straight with a completely straight board. This is different than the standard Status specs.
    So unless my strings/technique/touch are the exact same as the previous owner, it would buzz - which is why Status sets other basses wth a little relief in the
    neck...Makes sense to me.

As I said, other than this issue (which I guess isn't as major as I thought)I love the bass. So worst case scenario is that I send it back to Status and spend a little $ to have a new fingerboard put on - with Standard specs this time!

Thanks again for the info - I'm off to buy a set of .45-.105's to see if that will work as a temporary fix - the little bit of extra tension *may* do the trick for now.
  4. kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    Yeah your previous owner Mick has sold me a couple of basses and they all buzzed cos he loves the strings way,way down! As you say not a fault with the bass just Micks setup! Missing my 2000 which I sold a while back, it was the most consitant bass I ever played, would stay in tune from week to week and played and sounded good even with dead strings!