1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buzzing - Graphite Neck w/ no Truss Rod?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by berklee46, Aug 6, 2001.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I just got Status Graphite 2000 bass today. The bass had been completely redone a couple months ago (new fingerboard, frets, etc.)

The only issue I have with it is a constant fret buzz between the 1st and 4th(ish) frets. Granted the action is low, but there is *no* buzz at all in the upper register.
    I have raised the action and still have the notes being choked out on the low end of the bass. The Bb on the A string is almost non-existant. I've tried to let it sit for a few hours since maybe it moved a little during shipping, but it's actually gotten a little worse, rather than better.

If it was a wooden neck, I'd chalk it up to the hot weather, and I know that graphite isn't *totally* immune to weather changes, but...
    If the bass had a truss rod, I'd simply loosen it a bit and the problem would be solved, but since this has none, I'm stuck for a solution.
    It is a headless bass and there appears to be no nut, just a 1st fret...

Other than this problem, this bass is perfect - looks, feel, sound, etc.

This is my first bass with no truss rod, so I'd be grateful for any suggestions

2. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    I have some Steinbergers, with no truss rod and a zero fret.

The ideal solution is to have a fret dress/setup in which the high frets would be reduced.

As a temporary solution, you might try putting a few layers of aluminum foil or something similar under the strings at the zero fret to lift the strings a bit (I've never tried this but it seems logical).

Your neck may shift a bit as it settles in, and a different guage of strings might be a partial answer down the road. Likewise, the strings may deaden a bit at those frets as they wear in.

If its' fresh from the shop, maybe it should go back.

3. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I spoke with Rob at Status and discussed my issue. The previous owner had the work done so the bass would be set up to his *exact* specs. He wanted the neck completely straight with a completely straight board. This is different than the standard Status specs.
    So unless my strings/technique/touch are the exact same as the previous owner, it would buzz - which is why Status sets other basses wth a little relief in the
    neck...Makes sense to me.

As I said, other than this issue (which I guess isn't as major as I thought)I love the bass. So worst case scenario is that I send it back to Status and spend a little $ to have a new fingerboard put on - with Standard specs this time!

Thanks again for the info - I'm off to buy a set of .45-.105's to see if that will work as a temporary fix - the little bit of extra tension *may* do the trick for now.

4. kcm

kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    Yeah your previous owner Mick has sold me a couple of basses and they all buzzed cos he loves the strings way,way down! As you say not a fault with the bass just Micks setup! Missing my 2000 which I sold a while back, it was the most consitant bass I ever played, would stay in tune from week to week and played and sounded good even with dead strings!