Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buzzing in speaker sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassdementia, Aug 3, 2001.

1. I have a Carvin Pro Bass 300. its a combo amp with 300W to the head and 400W to the cabinet part. a 15" speaker in it. the problem is when i turn up past like a 7 on the master volume and a 7 on the bass volume the sound that comes out starts to buzz, sounding like a tear in the speaker. ive checked the speaker and its fine with no tears or anything. i want to use my footswitch to volume boost it without getting the buzz. it also has a tweeter switch from full to cut on the back of the cabinet part.

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Sounds like clipping.
    First make sure that pre-amp gain is not set too high (there should be no distortion with the master set at low levels)
    How do you set your EQ?
    If you dial in a lot of bass, the amp will run out of headroom even if you do not crank the master volume, because lows eat up a lot of power.
    If your amp is not loud enough, leave the bass knob/sliders flat and boost mids instead. This may sound unpleasant if you're playing alone, but should be ok in the mix.
    Check out the current thread 'midrange - yes or no' on that topic!

Good luck,
    Matthias

BTW: Welcome here at TalkBass!

3. I had speaker buzz once I went past a certain volume (less then half way).

Turned out to be a tired speaker with voice coil rub.
    Recone solved the problem. Back to cranking it up and tonal bliss.